Home » This column is about stuff » Unverified Comments

Comments

• ...and as my Great Aunt once told me, "When is the last time you seen a U-Haul behind a Hearse? So let it go or share with the younger generation to pack up and carry on"....I think its time for me to do just that.

July 1, 2010 at 7:57 p.m.
  • There's someone in town that is skilled in helping you manage all that stuff.

July 1, 2010 at 12:55 p.m.
  • Someone once told me "You don't own your stuff, your stuff owns you"

Another person once told me"You know what you get to take to Heaven with you? Everything that you give away....."

that probably does not mean the materialistic stuff going to Heaven with you, but the good intentions of your heart by giving.....

July 1, 2010 at 12:11 p.m.
  • Hmm...maybe I'll organize a massive "stuff" yard sale for all of us. That way we can all get rid of our stuff...although chances are good it will just end with all of us buying everyone else's stuff. :)

July 1, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.
  • All I need is this Thermos. ... And that's it.

July 1, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.
  • I could so relate to this article. When I left for college everything fit in my car, and the last time I moved 25 years later it took 2 days and the biggest Uhaul. And, I consider myself the one in the family that doesn't hang onto "stuff". I am thinking I need to reconsider that and will start de cluttering this weekend. Thanks for all your great articles and stories, keep them coming.

July 1, 2010 at 10:01 a.m.
  • Another great article... I loved it.

I guess it finally hit me when the Victoria Public Library wouldn't accept my outdated books.... There has to be someone out there that still needs or wants the book " Secrets of Windows 98."

After many years, my wife has finally convinced me start throwing away things because she said" now that you are approaching 65,and if you have not used those things in years, the likelihood of you ever needing them is dwindling away.".... That's cold and true.

July 1, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.
  • I feel like this article was written specifically for my husband and I... Something he and I have been discussing for months now that we need to get a handle on all our "STUFF". (although we use the word "crap" in place of the word stuff)....Hmmm maybe I'll use this article as a subliminal message to get motivated...Thanks April ;)

July 1, 2010 at 8:27 a.m.
  • I love the fishbowl theory, Aprill. Very true.

I have a book that I read again and again from time to time to help motivate me to not keep things I don't need. I lent it to my mother because she is a huge pack rat.

She lost the book.

Think about how much easier life is without so much clutter. Having so much stuff takes away time from doing things that are more worthwhile. Instead of having to organize, wash and sort things, we could be spending time doing fun things instead.

Also, instead of retail therapy, maybe treat yourself to an experience like a trip or a day at a theme park. Or beer. Lots of beer.

Watching "Hoarders" is good motivation, too.

June 30, 2010 at 8:56 p.m.
  • I would have totally said "your mom".

I've only been out of college for a year, and yet I have twice as much stuff as I did when I left. I have no idea where it came from, considering I've been dirt poor until recently.

June 30, 2010 at 4:32 p.m.
  • Great article. I agree exactly, de-cluttering = less stress, less stress = :)

June 30, 2010 at 4:26 p.m.