Comments

• holly1...It's probably a good idea, but, is the test for the brain dead and stupid those who don't agree with you? :) Just askin' because if that test was for those who disagree with me, Rick Perry would be looking for a job this morning. After the Trans-Texas Corridor mess, I can't believe so many people were willing to forgive and forget. I sincerely hope he learned something from that.

November 3, 2010 at 7:22 a.m.
  • Instead of term limits maybe a simple test at the polling place to keep the brain dead and the stupid people from voting would be a better idea. The problem today is many voters cast ballots for people they know nothing about and have no idea what they stand for. All they know is what they see and hear in 30 second sound bites plastered all over the TV screen. It should be required that anyone casting a vote have a basic knowledge of how the government works and the limits to it's power as set forth in the state and federal constitutions. If you can't pass then you can't vote simple as that. The problem we have today is the uninformed casting votes based on party lines or for who will give them more free hand outs. This has resulted in entitlement programs becoming a major drain on our economic system and in creating a welfare state where more people are now on the govt's tab than paying into the system. This was the main reason the founders established America as a REPUBLIC and not a democracy because they knew the people would vote for whom ever would give them the most benefits. They limited the power of federal government. This power has been abused as of late with all the new spending and regulations put in place. This power needs to be taken away from the federal government and returned to the states and the people. Personal responsibility must be expected of all citizens again. Everyone must do their utmost to support themselves and quit depending on free hand outs as now is the case. if not we will create a class of working people enslaved by the govt to pay for those not willing to help themselves.

November 3, 2010 at 7:09 a.m.
  • Another ethically inappropriate "story" one day before the election.

November 2, 2010 at 6:20 a.m.
  • I'm trying to get over the fact that ANYONE would vote for Perry, after he tried to sell us out for the trans-texas corridor! I would be willing to bet that is still a possibility if he is re-elected. Elmer Fudd would be a great governor compared to "Pretty Boy Perry"! He needs to start paying his own rent!

November 1, 2010 at 8:34 p.m.
  • Grouch said: "Our election parties need to do a better job of supplying election candidates. The past several years, there has been no real choice available".

I think the problem is the truly intelligent people in this world won't even consider running for political office because there is no money to be made in it and if elected they know they are only going to be liked by half the people, half the time and hated by the other half all the time. Sounds like lose/lose to me. Especially when they have better options.

November 1, 2010 at 1:01 p.m.
  • As far as as Mr. Fudd & the Democrats go, that would be an impossibility. Elmer has already been in the Governor's Office the last two terms as a Republican.

November 1, 2010 at 9:55 a.m.
  • Are Perry and Armstrong related???

November 1, 2010 at 8:24 a.m.
  • Onecrabbylady...Since you don't like either Perry or White (Good Grief! Perry-White...sounds like a Superman comic) do like I'm gonna do. Vote Libertarian. Your vote won't be wasted. All it takes for a third party to become mainstream is for people to vote for them. If you believe in their message or if you simply cannot stomach the republicans and democrats, vote Libertarian. We CAN change things if people will vote their conscience instead of voting for whom they think will win.

November 1, 2010 at 7:53 a.m.
  • "The incumbent already has name recognition and fundraisers,"
    In order for a person to get my vote, not only does he need name recognition but have a good resume and track record.
    Fundraisers, It's how you present what the fundraiser is. A person is not likely to quit giving to an office simply due to personal change, people donate for the cause and not the person...I think
    We almost saw it here in Victoria.

November 1, 2010 at 7:48 a.m.
  • Term limits for elected officials is a very good idea. However, who do you vote for when the only choice is worse that the incumbent? Do you vote for someone who has been in office too long, or do you vote for the guy that will do a worse job?
    Our election parties need to do a better job of supplying election candidates. The past several years, there has been no real choice available.

November 1, 2010 at 7:46 a.m.
  • Please forgive me in advance for the comments I am about to make. I have never claimed to be extremely educated when it comes to politics and government. But if term limits work for the POTUS, why should it be any different for governors, and indeed, all other of our leaders? I am not saying even representatives and senators should have a two-term limit, but a life-time job is absurd. That is not what our founding fathers ever meant to happen. Politicians should not be able to go to Washington DC at 30 years of age and then die in office at the age of 96.

If a POTUS has a term limit, so should every other major politician (governors, senators, representatives, etc.).

November 1, 2010 at 7:22 a.m.
  • I'm still trying to get over Texans voting for Perry last time after the video footage of him chewing out a Texas State Trooper for pullilng his car over for speeding. I mean when someone makes comments like "do you know who I am?" and "get back in your car and go do your job" doesn't it loudly and clearly say to the rest of Texans "I am better than you and I am the exception to the laws in Texas?"

I have to admit though I was equally as unimpressed with White when he was mayor of Houston and his daughter had been arrested for DWI and he pulled strings to not only get her out of jail but also have all the charges dropped. Another "exception" to the law, instead of having his child deal with the consequences of her own bad choices...it sure looked that way.

How about Texans electing candidates that live their lives withing the boundaries of our laws? State officials that lead by example not by exemption. It is a great thought but I doubt that we will ever allow common sense to lead the rest of us. Food for thought before hitting the polls on Tuesday.

October 31, 2010 at 9:23 p.m.
  • I'm sure the Victoria Democratic county chairperson would be singing a different tune if Elmer Fudd was the one working for a third term.

October 31, 2010 at 8:24 p.m.