Comments

• Anyone out there know if there is any kind of option to create a public vote in any way? And I'm not talking about the CC or Ms. Bise giving us a few choices. Are there any rules or regulations set in place in which we could bring a petition of suggestions or such from the RESIDENTS of Victoria? If so, I would like information regarding this. I think that a few people could organize a campaign to KNOW what the residents of Victoria want THEIR city known for! Maybe a team of volunteers that would be willing to bring a petition type paper to community members of all types (business, resident from all parts of the city/county, civil organizations, etc). I would be willing to help take on this project if there were a means to have the people in charge to actually LISTEN to what the community wants to be known for.
    Pardon me not scrolling for your name, but the person who commented on the marketing strategy is of the opinion that the strategy is sound. The problem is that it is becoming increasingly clear that the community in whole and general not only dislike the slogan/campaign specifics, but some are very disgruntled and angry about it as well.
    I'm not a big blogger on here, and don't often scroll through the comments. If anyone has this information or is willing to help if this is a possibility, please message me!

May 24, 2012 at 6:23 p.m.
  • I was recently in a hotel in North Texas when I came across a Victoria visitors guide filled with 26 pages of lies and mis-truths. So i found the guide online and here is a link to download it as a pdf.

March 5, 2011 at 8:51 p.m.
  • "When people say Cuero, you say Gobblers. When people say San Antonio, you say Alamo. When people say Victoria, we want them to say boots."

This is completely misguided. You do not want people to say "boots" when it comes to Victoria. You want them to say "Crossroads", use what we have already associated with Victoria and expand that concept. Boots? People think boots with Texas. Leave boots alone.It's a stagnant concept in Texas, just my opinion.

March 2, 2011 at 2:41 p.m.

February 26, 2011 at 5:05 a.m.
  • @goags & Holein1: I said I knew the owner, not that I have details of the business. How does any business get new business or start a business?

You can call or email JET and ask. The website lists contact information: www.jetmarketingandadvertising.com

February 23, 2011 at 3:26 p.m.
  • Legit question. How did a fledgling company land such an account?

February 23, 2011 at 3:08 p.m.
  • ShotCaller - Jet has only been open for 1 year? I don't question using an ad company from a nearby city, but I do question using an ad company that has been opened less than a year. How did a newly opened ad company land a major marketing campaign for a city?

February 23, 2011 at 2:08 p.m.
  • The City of Victoria's boot performance goal is to be similar to Sugarland. Same salaries and benefits for the City crowd but the 2010 census figures show the most telling aspect of the two cities.
    Sugarland's 2000 to 2010 population had a 65% increase. Victoria's was about 1% per year. Texas about 40% increase. Does the tale between the two cities show similar outcomes for capital outlay? Time for a replacement in my opinion.

February 23, 2011 at 11:40 a.m.
  • If all the stores are closeing and we have no attractions.... Why do we need an ad for people to come here. All we have are restaraunts. Skate world.....please. Putt Putt anybody maybe bowling? We have to go out of town to do anything. I've lived here 31 years and it has always been the same. Something moves in then it moves out. Oh yeah I forgot we have the zoo. I have a nephew who is 15 and he says the same thing that I said as a youth. When are they going to get it together. On the other hand. When something does try and make it we have people trying to shut it down. Even something as simple as a play. Go figure your damned if you do and damned if you don't.Typicall Victoria.

February 23, 2011 at 6:36 a.m.
  • I remember reading in this paper that Jet was from Tennesse, that was over a year ago though.

February 22, 2011 at 8:24 p.m.
  • Are you sure everyone knows that? Cause I sure have read a lot of opinions about how the money would be better spent and want to blame local government for doing so. The problem is that these opinions are formed before any facts are sought out.

That is my point. Fact find first, then form an opinion. It is what educated and mature people do.

February 22, 2011 at 7:06 p.m.
  • I do will believe we all know how's the tax's is to be spent.

What will is you's point?

February 22, 2011 at 6:46 p.m.
  • I have a question for those blogging on this site. Do will you listen to and accept fact as truth? Or do you only seek to prove you strongest belief system true? Because I keep hearing an ongoing theme that is simply false. If you think that city officials have the power to allocate this hotel/motel tax money for anything other than putting "heads in beds", you are wrong. They cannot use this money to pay off debt, fix roads, education, etc. And if you have a problem with that fact, then call your State Government. Locals don't make the rules.

On another note, this rumor that JET Marketing is from Tennessee is absolutely ridiculous. I happen to know the owner well. She was born and raised in Texas and has never lived anywhere else. The company was started about a year ago in Cuero and has never been officed anywhere else.

If you think Cuero is not local, lets see how well your business does if all the people living in the surrounding towns to Victoria stop spending money here.

I really encourage you to get real facts before passing opinions off as such.

February 22, 2011 at 6:39 p.m.
  • Dang Matt, its been there a while now :^/

February 22, 2011 at 2:58 p.m.

Would love to see something like this come to Victoria. Brilliant idea.

February 22, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.
  • A Good start would be for the VCB/VTB to disclose an itemized list of where the tax dollars have been spent down to the last BOOT.

February 22, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.
  • @victoriabybirth...seems your post has some merit.
    Again, when certain business try to come to Victoria, they are boycotted as to not give other same business competition (Fiesta grocery store).
    NOW, they seem to "partner" with certain business...
    Out of all the post I have read I really like:
    Car Wash, the movie, when Richard Pryor,"Daddy Rich" makes the statement "There's a good place in this world for money and it's right here in my pocket".

February 22, 2011 at 7:20 a.m.
  • Thanks saltgrass...First we cannot chastise the Patillos for being shrewd businessmen. In a business transaction you try to get the best deal possible or whatever you can get away with.
    It is stated "they have ample property to put in all the parking spaces required by law and had fully intended to do so before the opportunity to partner with the city happened".
    Why did the city decide to join this venture? Is this the norm? What other business ventures has the council decided to "partner" with?
    Your right the "the attacks against them should not have to become vicious and personal, because they are doing what businessmen are supposed to do. Re-focus

February 22, 2011 at 7:02 a.m.
  • @saltgrass

And I hope you know by "you" I don't mean you specifically but rather others who contribute to the blogs and for whatever reason seem to bring up this issue continually... no matter what the subject matter of the article may be.

February 22, 2011 at 6:07 a.m.
  • @saltgrass

Haha... no, not promoting myself, and not professional courtesy... just trying to make the point that when I say the media buys are well placed, it's a professional opinion.

The argument on whether or not the Hotel/Motel Tax should even exist aside, my point is that I commend CVB for doing their job (which is to promote our community) and doing it well. Again, love or hate the campaing it is extremely well implemented. Will it work, I don't know, but I hope so; but marketing a community is a long term committment. Are we the perfect vacation destination? Nope, I'd rather go to Disneyworld. Does that mean we have nothing to offer? Nope, we have lots for a community of our size. An AMAZING arts community, culture, nature, history surrounding us, outdoor activities. I've lived here for a long time and this is the first time I've seen this community activily and aggressively promoted and I think we should commend CVB rather then tearing them down with petty, personal attacks.

Regarding the Pump House, it's not my place to tell their story. My point, however, is that the attacks against them have become vicious and personal, questioning their integrity as business owners and community leaders, which is shameful because they don't deserve it. What I question is how a nameless, faceless person on these blogs can hurl these accusations without taking the time to meet and visit with them personally.

I would, however, like to remind people of a few facts... first, the Patillos purchased the property in an open bidding process. It was advertised and open to anyone interested. They were the only ones who submitted a bid. Second, they have ample property to put in all the parking spaces required by law and had fully intended to do so before the opportunity to partner with the city happened. Third, this partnership is not saving them any money whatsoever as the amount they are paying for the city owned spots plus the amount they're paying for the parking on their property equals what they would pay had they put in all the parking spaces on their property. You can ague all you want about whether the city should have spent this money, but to say that there was an underhanded deal involved is slanderous.

February 22, 2011 at 5:22 a.m.
  • oK, so the Patillos get their parking to the tune of 48k with the city providing the labor which will be on the taxpayers dime, doesn't say how how much that will cost. 13 parking spaces would not meet the criteria for occupancy vs parking, so the city is helping them, period - the end. In the meantime, the city is busily erecting medians that are hindering quite a few businesses - one owner asked for the median to be removed as his business is way down since it was installed...the city told him no. So basically, it appears to me at least, if you want to open a business in Victoria & you want it to succeed, you better be friends with certain members of CC or involve yourself with various Boards or else your fate is questionable. They are obviously giving some a leg up while they are cutting the legs off of others. There does not seem to be a level playing field in Victoria, why would small businesses want to come?

February 21, 2011 at 11:12 p.m.
  • cOruption at its worst. we should replace everyone. this money should be used to pay the amssive city debt.

February 21, 2011 at 10:15 p.m.
  • @Radiobabe:
    I do not know if your positive support and attitude toward Ms. Bise is out of professional courtesy or if you took this opportunity to promote yourself or your business with the tidbit regarding your qualifications. I also commend you on your achievements as a marketing professional and what you bring to the table with experience and understanding.
    I do not question whether Ms. Bise has a wisely well placed media plan or her advertising agency has a thoughtful and well thought out media buys. As you stated " love or hate the campaign" the advertising agency has done it's job. Look at the interest it has generated.
    My question is, what has the $750,000 and the excellent media buys and well placed media plan gotten in return?
    Regarding the Pump House issue, I do not feel the Patillos have to answer to me regarding their dealings with the Council about what their plans are and justify as to why the city should put an additional parking.
    As you are quick to defend your positions, and had the privilege to having spoken to them, why do you not enlighten us regarding their long range goals, forethought and commitment to this community.
    Thank you.

February 21, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.
  • I remember the "Rose" theme...that would be much better than the current idea......maybe the city should vote for their favorite theme....

February 21, 2011 at 8:40 p.m.
  • To determine if the marketing works, Bise measures success by hotel-motel occupancy taxes.

This one needs to be taken out of the equation as it will not be accurate due to the current oilfield boon, and trust me those are a totally different kind of boots coming and staying here.

February 21, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.
  • "We want the boot campaign to connect the city with something," said Janell McPhail, who owns Jet Marketing and Advertising, the tourism bureau's Cuero-based ad agency.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this portion of the story? Cuero-based?

Of course Bise wants to extend this campaign for as long as possible. How else will she get a paycheck? Jet Marketing is also eating this thing up! All the way to the bank...........

February 21, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.
  • NB45

I have looked at where the CVB is spending the money, and love or hate the campaign, it's a well placed media plan and I commend Bridgette and her advertising agency on their thoughtful and well thought out media buys. And before you ask, no, I'm not her advertising agency nor do I do any work with CVB, but as a marketing professional I do bring to the table experience and understanding.

Regarding the Pump House, you didn't answer my question... have you ever spoken to the Patillos about what their plans are and ask for justification as to why the city should put in additional parking. And again, yes, I have and I am impressed with their long range goals, forethought and commitment to this community.

February 21, 2011 at 11:34 a.m.
  • @justataxpayer:
    I apologize if I seem negative or my comments provoke sarcasm.
    I, like you, and everyone is is really concern with the actions of our tax money and the unnamed or undisclosed economic development projects.
    It seems when taxpayers do not agree with issues, they still get passed and we're only told "it's good for you".
    Now it seems Ms. Bise states it will be a year or 2 whether its ad campaign is a success, that's an investment of $2,250,000. unless she asks for more.
    All these back and forth comments only say "if you build it they will come". My question is come to what?
    If the investment is worthy, I also want to get on the ground floor and buy shares...AGAIN, we miss the point, 2 people sitting on the same council have totally differents views on the success of this "unnamed economic development projects".

February 21, 2011 at 11:28 a.m.
  • This seems to be an easy fix - select good candidates for the council that have the same beliefs and values as you do - convince them to run - then campaign for them - get them elected and watch it all change. Or - run for the council yourself. The real power is at the ballot box.

February 21, 2011 at 11:23 a.m.
  • I can relate. The more I read about the City councils ventures, and unnamed or undisclosed economic development projects and Ms. Bise, 2011 "Bring Your Boots" campaign ads I can only think about:

February 21, 2011 at 10:41 a.m.
  • anonyme
    In the mid 90's, I think that's when it was, a proposal for a Riverwalk was put forth by developers from somewhere else. They had meetings and shared there plans on how to make downtown Victoria a true tourist destination. A hotel was to be built at the site of the current Welder center. The shrine at OLoS was to be enlarged and incorporated. For a while, a short while there was quite a bit of excitement.
    Naturally it was going to require a substantial local investment.
    Our patriarchs ultimately said nope, we don't want it. It's not for us. Thank you very much. We're fine just the way we are.
    And so here we are today.

February 21, 2011 at 10:36 a.m.
  • Such negativism...please let me remind you...
    City Councils are the chief legislative bodies of municipalities and have been features of American city government since the colonial era. From the 1790s on the enfranchised citizenry elected council members in cities throughout the United States.
    During the nineteenth century, a growing number of Americans became disenchanted with city councils. Elected by wards, council members represented neighborhood interests and often seemed indifferent to the needs of the city as a whole. Moreover, they reflected the social composition of their wards. Working-class wards elected owners who were popular. To the urban elite, these plebeian councilors hardly seemed worthy of a major voice in city government. Widespread rumors of corruption further damaged the reputations of council members. The city councils were responsible for awarding valuable franchises, and thus council members had ample opportunity to secure lucrative bribes. New York City's aldermen were dubbed the "Forty Thieves," and a corrupt pack of Chicago council members were known as the "Gray Wolves." Next we had the California council members.
    What will our council members be known for?

February 21, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.
  • They seem to want to make downtown like the one in Sugarland. But that area is surrounded by shops and restaurants that having regular hours. And a within walking distance mall. During the summer weekends they have concerts on the square -- but we can't do that because someone might step on the grass. (plus it draws the creatures out).

February 21, 2011 at 9:57 a.m.
  • I always thought the slogan was excellent for Victoria....not necessarily as a tourist campaign. When I think of "bring your boots" to me that means that you will be wading through some deep sh** and that would be a perfect analogy for Victoria.
    You might even want to bring your slicker for the days it gets slung.

February 21, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.
  • "bring your bibles". Please don't give these people any more goofy ideas.
    Next thing you know we'll get over run by a bunch of baptist who'll show up with a ten dollar bill and the ten commandments. And they don't break either.

February 21, 2011 at 9:28 a.m.
  • This is plain and simple the biggest joke I have ever heard of. I understand Victoria wanting to bring in people and all but "boots"? There is no way Victoria can pull this one off for starters. I can see Yoakum pulling this theme off due to the leather they are know for. If you really think about it, Victoria really has nothing... Wait....

We have a ton of banks (don't know who has money is in there, sure aint mine)...and churches.

I am thinking it should be more like "bring your bibles" or something...

Shoot, we do not even have a decent Steak house here lol

February 21, 2011 at 9:19 a.m.
  • This ad campaign is not only laughable, it borders on being criminal. It's fraud. Victoria has not one single "real" tourist attraction. I feel sorry for some poor family or a retired couple on a limited budget that believes this nonsense and travels here. Travels for what? This is a scam.

ATTENTION TO ANYONE WHO READS THIS ARTICLE: Save your money, do not come here, there is nothing to do here. This is a SHAM to the umpteenth degree! We are not a "Boot" city. We have no old dance halls, we have no boot makers, we have nothing here that has anything to do with boots!

February 21, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.
  • Bighorn - Yeah, I had an out of town guest a while back, and we did the same thing. We went to the zoo, but we found so much more to do! We then went to the rose garden, then we went to the Museum of the Coastal Bend, then we....

Then we.....

Er.......

Yeah, that was about it.....

Yep. There's just not much there at all.

I just don't see Victoria as a tourist destination. Never have, really. I believe that if the powers-that-be worked on attracting jobs, REAL jobs beyond just Caterpillar, decent neighborhoods where a family would actually want to live, and not just passable, but EXCELLENT schools with magnet and/or gifted/talented programs, THEN Victoria could be a destination town, not just for visiting but for truly LIVING.

February 21, 2011 at 8:49 a.m.
  • At the center of this issue should be why our local leaders continue to attempt to make this area a tourist destination, while offering no tourist attractions.

Several years ago, I had 25 plus family members come into town for an event. After taking the "little ones" to the zoo (about an hour and a half), they returned to the hotel with little more to do. Although, after seeing our downtown area, they all asked "why isn't there anything open there" on the weekend? I know about the "sidewalk project" downtown, but are there any plans to include it as a minor "entertainment district"? One focused on locals, more than tourists?

I'd rather see this tax money spend on "brick and motar" projects on our downtown area. Projects that have tangible benefits for the citizens and familys that live here.

Of course, the current ad program will be declared a "success" due to increased hotel tax collection, when in reality a little thing called "Eagle Ford" actually has more to do with it.

February 21, 2011 at 8:22 a.m.
  • A river walk? It would take socialist money from Obama to finance. And Red cities like Victoria want no part of socialism or heaven forbid, new taxes to pay for this. As for SA's river walk, it was financed by the granddaddy of socialism, FDR and the WPA.
    Geesh, what's wrong with you people?

February 21, 2011 at 7:04 a.m.
  • What would be so hard about diverting some water from the river to create a "river walk" like so many cities have? Even OKC did it! Then we would have a destination for tourists. I mean- have you been to the boardwalk at Kemah? I drove all the way over there for an hour's entertainment and a meal. We have a major river running through our town and a great park already located on it- USE IT!!!!!! People love to be around water- it's a no brainer.

February 20, 2011 at 9:19 p.m.
  • Why didn't we just pay someone to streak nude onto the Super Bowl half time show with boots tattooed on their buttocks. Would have cost a lot less and reached a world wide audience. And we would have stole the show from Dallas.

February 20, 2011 at 8:52 p.m.
  • I have a themed slogan too: "Bring your sling!" or "Grab your wrap!"

February 20, 2011 at 8:52 p.m.
  • I'm just saying that if the guys are going to talk about the boobs, I am going to talk about the breastfeeding. =P (I thought that would shut them up. But, I didn't want to leave them out, completely, hence the bit of trivia.)

Doesn't throwing in the words "hence" and "thus" make "one" sound intellectual?

February 20, 2011 at 8:06 p.m.
  • I wonder....

Why do certain people, no matter what the original topic, continually try to bring the conversation back to the parking spots in Riverside Park...

If said people who complain have ever taken the time to actually visit with the Patillos to see what they have to say on the matter...

Or if maybe, they just like to complain and can't find any better topics then boots and parking spots to vent about...

But, if you think about it, life in Victoria must be pretty darn good if that's all that's bad around here...

February 20, 2011 at 7:44 p.m.
  • Finally the rest of the "true" story concerning the Old Pump House restaurant in the Riverside Park campaign.
    The restaurant will be selling Armadillo Tacos. The Armadillo Taco, "a true Texas tradition"
    It anticipates it will be even bigger than that little town that features...
    World's famous Round Rock Donuts.
    Since 1926, people from all over the world have been stopping by to give our famous yellow (or are they orange?) donuts a try.
    Breakfast starts around 4AM, That's when locals and visitors alike start lining up to enjoy a true Texas tradition
    Why not stop in for a visit?
    After all, it's not every day you get to taste a piece of Texas history.
    Due to the bad weather we had, the filming of the Dallas TV Series has been put to the back Burner.

February 20, 2011 at 7:39 p.m.
  • @rebecca...seeing your a person of wit, and stated men can lactate also, when you proposed a "pro-breastfeeding campaign", who were you referring to be the contestants, guys or gals?

February 20, 2011 at 7:05 p.m.
  • Exactly, but the city provides the labor, except for the 13 spots on the owners property. Plus the owners get a additional 40 parking spots, yeah the public can use them, but in that part of the park... who would? Restaurant patrons, that's who.

How come a private person can build a parking spot for $996, but if the city builds a parking spot it costs $1502?

I know, it is how effective any government entity is at doing anything.

February 20, 2011 at 6:54 p.m.
  • Legion357 - Those were "proposals" right? "Original Proposal" and "Alternative Proposal" are the words used in the link you provided.

If you look up what was actually passed, it states that the owners will build 13 lots on the property they own and the owners will pay to have an additional 54 spots built. The 13 spaces plus the 54 spaces, all of which the owners will have paid for, the owners will agree to let the public use them. In addition, no work will be started until the full amount has been paid to the city.

February 20, 2011 at 6:43 p.m.
  • I'm sorry to inform you that Goliad has long been considered the birthplace of Texas Ranching!

February 20, 2011 at 6:12 p.m.
  • The rest of the story....

107 spaces near Pumphouse Restaurant plus 40 spaces adjacent
    to the Zoo at an estimated cost of174546 Developer pays for 13 spaces on private
    property estimated cost of 10500 plus 54287 for the additional 54 spaces on
    park property 67 total spaces City pays for the remaining 40 spaces near the
    Pumphouse plus the additional 40 spaces near Zoo at an estimated cost of120178
    Mr Short advised that City staff would do the labor for this project and a contractor
    would do the overlay.

Sooo... a person pays for 67 parking slots, sorta, the city provides the labor for the ground work, and you get 117 parking spots.

Pumphouse owner pays for 67 parking spots, $64,787, $996 per spot.
    City pays $120,178 for 80 spots, (40 by the Pumphouse), $1502 per spot.

I guess it is the City provided labor that reduces the cost of the Pumphouse owners parking spots.... by $504 a spot.

February 20, 2011 at 5:25 p.m.
  • I have been told that the Victoria area is supposed to be the birthplace of the cattle industry in Texas, way back before Martin DeLeon and his friends moved here. Cattle - Cowboys - hmm boots?
    A number of years ago a successful media owner put forth a proposal to host a Cowboy Fest. I might still have it somewhere. It was actually pretty good, if you like that sort of thing. Lots of people seem to. The forward thinking powers of the day pooh pooed all over it.

February 20, 2011 at 5:19 p.m.
  • El69runner
    What you describe was way more successful in every way than anything that has been tried since.
    The thing that made the Armadillo Fest successful, and most every other successful festival in the area, is that its sole purpose was for fun and enjoyment.
    Making money for the CofC, the City, whatever was not a primary concern. I believe, and recent history supports, that as long as money is the primary motive for holding any community event it will fail.
    The Armadillo Fest is about the only community event that we can look back on with pride. It did what it was supposed to do.

February 20, 2011 at 5:06 p.m.
  • N3, you are about to get in a lot of trouble with that one!

February 20, 2011 at 4:57 p.m.
  • "Boobs or bust."
    ok How about "Boobs Bust-in Boots".....

February 20, 2011 at 4:54 p.m.
  • Just to prove that I'm not a man-hater, I will remind you all that men can lactate too. Look it up. That would be a fun dinner-party conversation. At least it will keep people from talking at you too much. =P

February 20, 2011 at 4:53 p.m.
  • "Boobs or bust."

No thanks, unless this will be part of a pro-breastfeeding campaign? How about that, guys?

February 20, 2011 at 4:45 p.m.
  • Funny how our "Noisiest Motorcycle" are only appreciated when we're doing blood drives at the Harley shop or we're doing toy runs for the needy Children in Victoria. We also do runs for people in need that just need a little helping hand. Yes, that's only when those "Noisiest Motorcycle" are appreciated.

February 20, 2011 at 4:27 p.m.
  • That's it, what a great idea. Boots and Bust. Since no one goes to the park anyways they should make it into a nudiest retreat. lol. Wow this has really got off topic.

February 20, 2011 at 4:15 p.m.
  • Kyle
    Yep, heard about Austin. Went there to see it for myself when I was younger. Was trying to focus on finding our party on the other side of the public pool when a lady walked topless in front of me that looked about 9 1/2 months pregant. Looked behind me and they were everywhere. Perhaps Victoria should be Boots and Bust.

February 20, 2011 at 4:04 p.m.
  • I thought that was just an Austin thang?

February 20, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.
  • One word, "Boobfest". BAM ! Victoria's on the map and every bar and eatery in town will be mobbed with guys spending thier entire paychecks.

BTW, did you know that it is not illegal for a woman to expose her breasts in public. Check it out for yourself. The law only specifies exposure of your butt or sexual organs.

Now that would make Victoria a destination city.

February 20, 2011 at 3:43 p.m.
  • It seems to me we have a real 'us and them' problem here in VCT.
    Have alots vs. Have alot less-ers...I got mine, go get your own. Race, class and heritage all components.

We have so few middle-rs!

The perceived good-ol'-boy, back scratchin' crowd is highly suspect to the frustrated/bored, same as it ever was crowd.
    When all the same people are on all the boards and only network with each other, little things like the parking at Pump House take on more attention and suspicion. I truly believe many of the "Have Alot-ers have good hearts and intentions but are perhaps blind to the effect these kind of practices have on other people with business hopes and dreams but few or no 'connections'.

However, when 8% of the qualified voters bother to get out for local elections, we get what we deserve, I suppose.

As a transplant, I can't tell you how many times I've been told 'so and so could buy you 3 times over' and the ever popular "More millionaires per capita back in the 80's" story. Too bad we can't market that as our brand! My uncle in Dallas told me the per capita bit before we even moved here! It's already widely known!

The sad fact is, none of these attitudes will foster the oh so important feeling of "We're in this together" and visitors can smell the disconnect a mile away.

February 20, 2011 at 3:29 p.m.
  • Each time I see the "Bring Your Boots" add in my Texas Monthly magazine, I crack up. All that comes to mind is bring your boots for what??? Seriously, to view a half closed mall?, or limited eateries, or anything??? Just take a moment and say, " If I lived elsewhere, would I pack my bags, and boots, and book a room for a fun filled weekend in Victoria?"

February 20, 2011 at 2:53 p.m.
  • N45BA - The city is lending some unused plot of land, for private citizens to pay the cost to build parking that could be used by people that attend the park. In the future I think the restaurant will be a tourist destination for the city. You ask, Why would the city provide this land?. The restaurant will pay property taxes, sales taxes, provide a large number of jobs. For a small piece of unused property, it seems like a good deal for the city. If the city provides some land, that citizens can now utilize for parking if they need it, and the city is getting taxes in return, a tourist destination, then this seems like a great deal for the city.

Or maybe the city can not do things like this and we can watch the park keep deteriorating, and watch Victoria boom at the amazing pace of 2% a year while the state of Texas sees increases of 20%.

February 20, 2011 at 2:51 p.m.
  • Bluvioletnredtx -
    I LIKE your concept.

VCT misses out on so MUCH.

Boots ??
    I had dinner in PL Thursday evening and was privy to a bit of activity over there.
    April 23 (?) Calhoun County Rodeo Association is sponsoring a "fundraiser" team-roping for CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children),
    plus they probably do about 3 or so other rodeo style benefits a year.

And guess what all them cowboys wear
    besides shirts,
    and jeans????

BOOTS.

What's VCT doing for boots?

February 20, 2011 at 2:15 p.m.
  • Just found this.

So what does this have to do with boots?

February 20, 2011 at 2:06 p.m.
  • D_Pridgen~
    Thanks for the additional info! Obviously a very strong "Rose" connection here, once upon a time at least.
    Here we go: There is "The Nightingale and The Rose" ballet, I'm sure there are "Rose" themed pieces for symphony..."The Rose" for a theater production.
    Again, only one concept. But a conceptt with a valid, historical connection AND historical landmarks to support it.
    That's probably enough from me though. I truly wish to be constructive rather than critical. There's already enough of that to go around~

February 20, 2011 at 1:41 p.m.
  • N45BA -
    I'm with you.
    Since I was a small child.
    That was back in the old days when VCT had a real zoo with Chubby the lion, some apes, baby elephant, buffalo, etc.
    Oops - almost forgot to mention the little train.
    Oh well - us kids thought it was great.
    Riverside was great!!!!!!!
    And families felt safe.!!!!!!
    It is ashamed it turned into what it is.

Childhood memories have kept me touring the park often the last several decades since I've had drivers license.
    For the better part of 7 years I ate my lunch down there somewhere at a minimum of 2 days a week.

Until several months ago I can count on my digits how many times I have seen vehicles in the area of the pumphouse since they removed the playground equipment.
    And, that includes varied lunch times!!

Riverside, the Community Center, and Saxet Lakes are what we should be focusing on to get somone to want to come to VCT with or without their boots.

Port Lavaca has had boots and flip-flops for what 4 or more years.

The commentors on the VA blogs have had some great ideas, and not being accused of "copying" the neighbors.

Boots???
    Come on..............

February 20, 2011 at 1:35 p.m.
  • N45BA - You sure are obsessed with the parking lot. Just to refresh your memory, because you seem to forget, the owners are building 13 spaces on their own property and paying for all the costs. The owners are paying for ALL the costs to build an additional 54 spaces on unused property. Both the 54 spaces and the 13 spaces can be used by the public. What part of this deal are you unhappy with?

February 20, 2011 at 1:23 p.m.
  • Bluevioletnredtx -
    Sorry for the confusionion.
    The post to KittyKat was meant for your and your child.

BTW - to all regarding the "ROSES"

Not sure when it was taken down but for years there was a sign at Red River and Main that had something about ROSES on it.
    Plus back before my time ( I think) Tom O'Connor owned a minor leaque baseball club called the Rosebuds.
    The ROSE Garden in Riverside Park is a spinoff of the COV old ROSE slogan.

February 20, 2011 at 1:15 p.m.
  • hahaha, it was actually MY 10 year old so I'll still say Thanks!

February 20, 2011 at 1:05 p.m.
  • Kitty Kat -
    Hug that SMART kid of yours.

GREAT idea for the Rose stitched boots.
    You should start a consulting firm with that intelligent youngster.

February 20, 2011 at 1:02 p.m.
  • You also can't judge tourist dollars by the number of coupons turned in to local advertisers in the little Boot Booklet on display at local lodging.

I have attended 2 different sets of conferences, meetings, seminars whatever you choose to call it.
    75% attendance was local.
    We all picked up the booklet because we already shop the advertisers.
    When a couple of people saw mine and asked where I got it I told them.

Guess what I can name at least 7 women I know went looking for those booklets that already frequent the establishments for themselves and their family.

BTW - I LOVE some of the suggestions posted here. VCT has SO much too offer if people would just do a bit of research and ask the locals and old-timers.

Nothing against Ms. Bise, but why ALWAYS bring in others. I guess VCT doesn't have any competent nor unbiased professionals to do anything.
    Everytime you turn around VCT money is going out of town for some audit, research, survery, study etc.

February 20, 2011 at 12:52 p.m.
  • So do i have to wear boots to get in to bootfest? So Bise what will kind of things will we have at BOOTFEST?

February 20, 2011 at 12:50 p.m.
  • The city need to start over with a local ad company. Let the people that live and work here come up with a slogan.

February 20, 2011 at 12:25 p.m.
  • The best part of the boots is how people in the cities where the billboards are love to make fun of the boots!

February 20, 2011 at 12:21 p.m.
  • Amen N45BA. The "thugs" take over anything decent in Victoria. There is no class in our Christmas Parade when you have noisy motorcycles taking over. The mall, or what is left of it, is taken over by wannabes.

February 20, 2011 at 11:54 a.m.
  • u cannot find any boots under 200 dollars! way out of my budget!

February 20, 2011 at 11:54 a.m.
  • Whatever happened to the two employment positions Bise was advertising for? And who is responsible for their salaries?

February 20, 2011 at 11:42 a.m.
  • 1. I just can't get the boot thing--what do boots have to do with Victoria? I searched Lucchese Boots history and have not found one mention of Victoria. Boots and Victoria are never in the same thought.
    2. "The boots campaign largely targets residents in the Diamond Corridor - from Corpus Christi to San Antonio and Houston" Why? Wouldn't most people who live this close just drive back home after visiting?
    3. Is Ms. Bise from Victoria? If not maybe that's why there is such a lack of sense of what Victoria is? Just where am I suppose to wear these boots?
    4. Just think if this money had been used to improve what we have. Then we might have something to promote. Clean and update the park for one (doesn't mean put parking in a useless spot). Help the zoo to flourish. An outlet mall to shop, a beautiful park to relax and picnic, and a zoo for the kids to enjoy. I live in Victoria but I can't think what we have that would pull the tourists in.

February 20, 2011 at 11:33 a.m.
  • El69~
    Ribaldry! Sounds great!

February 20, 2011 at 11:16 a.m.
  • N45BA~
    Also the Pit-Bull Club walking in the parade with muzzled pits on tow-chain leads.

February 20, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.
  • @4reals; Louieclanger:
    Those were the days...HOWEVER....Remember...
    As we visualize this fete, I recommend NOT invoking the International Armadillo Confab and Exposition (circa 1971-75) as a model for what the city wants to create. At it's height, this festival was more than 25,000 hippies and other celebrants descending upon Victoria from all over the region, smoking what there was to smoke, listening to leading-edge music of the day and generally curling the hair of the "gentry of Victoria".
    Each International Armadillo Confab and Exposition was more outrageous than the last and Victoria made global headlines, including the front page of the Los Angeles Times. Our mayor's armadillo issued challenges to the mayors of the surrounding counties for critter races. Our beauty contest was "Miss Vacant Lot." There was a "Best All-Around Person Contest," although I can only imagine the criteria for winning. Each First Annual Confab was celebrated for its originality, tongue-in-cheekness and ribaldry.
    May it rest in peace, man.

Dennis Tardan, Victoria

February 20, 2011 at 10:42 a.m.
  • Thanks Kitty Cat~
    My ten-year-old just commented, "We could have Rose Stitched boots!"

February 20, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.
  • @ bluvioletnredtx ,I like your thinking. I think you did more research the the ad firm. I have never heard of the Roses before. I think it could be something. And something different! Rose Queen-- Cute idea.

February 20, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.
  • @Ned...
    I wonder if the Chamber has "coined" The Bring your Boots To Victoria Phrase? If so maybe we can "sue" BCS for using our Phase. Although a little altered, it sends the same message. Better look into this. This way we can recoup some of our 750,000 dollars and show we are getting return for our money even though it's not by attracting visitors.

February 20, 2011 at 10:13 a.m.
  • A true "brand" is naturally connected to the city; the SA Alamo, Cuero Gobblers...
    So much of Victoria's history has been torn down, destroyed or just eliminated.
    A great example is the oft mentioned Armadillo Fest. I understand it was a grass-root developed event, fun, diverse and very successful.
    What if WE had been Keeping Victoria Armored all these years?
    How big would that event be by now?

Rosebud Park, Rosebud Grill, The Rose Garden, Santa Rosa once planted with roses it's entire length.
    With minimal research and NO money spent, I discovered Victoria was once known as "The City Of Roses".
    Beautiful (and fragrant!) roses planted around the square, a Rose Show, Herb Fest, Rose Queen... can you imagine it?
    Rose people travel everywhere to see beautiful roses. Even people who don't garden appreciate roses.
    This is simply one example of a potential 'brand' that has a real historical connection.

Another obvious potential brand is our fantastic access to the Arts; Bach, Ballet, Theater and Symphony.
    A city of Arts and Roses. Who wouldn't want to come? Boots, Ballys or Barefoot ?

The 'Boots' just feel so contrived. And imposed.
    This is not a personal criticism of Bridget, however, how much research DID she do into the obvious, historical Victoria past?
    Our 'brand' should be a true identity the COMMUNITY recognizes as valid, feels proud of and connected to.

Besides, as long as we really only want them to "Bring Their Wallets", we're way off center.

February 20, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.
  • I'm not so sure about the campaign but I am curious as to the lack of consistent hours kept by the owners of downtown businesses. It is hard to plan with friends or direct out of town visitors to any one spot when so many owners seem to open and close their establishments based on their lives' priorities rather than anything dependable for outsiders. So, how do you think this practice will affect the resurgence of the downtown revitalization project? And, what does this say about our town's true welcoming nature?

February 20, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.
  • Advocate,

When you do your analysis make sure you discount all the oil field people staying in the hotels. They may wear boots but they are not beacuse of the boots campaign. You need to discuount all the business people that would be here anyway. Yes they may wear boots too, but they don't count.
    I would not leave the measuring to the spenders of the money. That is like the fox guarding the henhouse. I would get an independent group, like a university (not UHV - probably in bed (figuratively speaking) with Bise), to find out how the program is doing.

February 20, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.
  • @justataxpayer, I am not a gamer, but it would be kinda cool to see an old riverboat cruising the Guadalupe. In Trinidad, there is a large boat that carries passengers for partying. It makes for a fun evening. I picture an old school riverboat churning the water.

Also, something related to Trinidad. It is an island but not a seriously competing tourism island. It may be interesting to see what they do to attract visitors to a place that isn't a giant Sandals.

February 20, 2011 at 9 a.m.
  • OMG! We have just been outdone by Bryan-College Station! Their ad campaign has all kinds of footwear and states "If the Shoe Fits....Meet. Play. Visit. BCS is a favorite destination for everyone!"

And then there is Port Aransas...."Flip Floppin' Fun Year 'Round."

Seguin is one of my favorite..."Your Jaw Will Drop."

It all is just silly. I think one thing that irritates people is the boot propaganda being designed to define Victoria, our city, instead of finding something that is really what Victoria is about.

I have also noticed that Texas Monthly has not done a feature story on Victoria. Marfa....yes. Victoria....no.

February 20, 2011 at 8:49 a.m.
  • @N45BA, I think you make a point, but also consider that whether it is the state or local level, each will pay the same price for the same ad all things being equal. I also suspect the state spends much less than the sum total of all CVB's around the state. I could be wrong.

I think people do come here from out of town to Victoria events and more will do so we, the lay people, get off our arse and get involved in attending local attractions, talking about them to others, etc. Last night I went to see R.E. Keen in Schroeder. In our group were 4 Victorians and 4 out of towners. I saw a friend that recently moved here, she brought I think two guests from out of town.

I am not saying we should not use metrics to know what is working and what is lacking, or that we should not hold our elected officials accountable. The boots campaign is a conversation starter, not final statement. Now which conversation saounds better, "Yea, we have this silly boot thing we are branding." Or "Our city is bootiful, we can see Keen one night, go to Brackenridge (which supports a neighboring town, because they are important to our economy as well) the next day for a rodeo, and finish the next night at a downtown weekend party on the street of Main surrounded by local vendors offering small bites, live music, laughs and jolly." By the way, I offered the last one as what I would like to see here. But you can insert many different things, I just raddled off somethings that popped into mind. It could be Theatre, nice dining, frisbee golf and rivering, and tour the temple of Bockdom in Shiner.

What are some of the other things that come to your mind? How do you market Victoria to out of towners? I start with people from those near big cities with "We really enjoy the people who live in our suburbs."

February 20, 2011 at 8:28 a.m.
  • The money comes from the hotel/motel tax fund. This money comes from the cost of staying in such an establishmnet NO MATTER what the reason! I would have to guess that a large portion of the funds are generated by business people staying in local lodging during the week and returning home on the weekend. Do the local motels offer discounts on rooms for Fri/Sat nights as a means of attracting peopel to come here? I personally think it's counter productive to try to attract visitors to your towna nd then sock them with tax on tax on tax for the privelege! The rate in San Antonio is 17% I think and that's on top of sales tax. A $150/noght room winds up costing you close to $200 and that doesn't even include parking. A town/city really has to have some serious attractions to be able to gouge visitors like that. I don't think we do here.
    Saw in todays paper that legal gambling has shown up again as a mans of generating revenue in the state. Maybe we could get a casino here?LOLOLOLOL

February 20, 2011 at 7:50 a.m.
  • Okay, I know you have to spend or invet money to make money. I agree with most everyone who has posted here that Victoria doesn't have much to be famous for. As far as the boots campaign goes, I don't think anyone has mentioned that some of the finest boots ever made, Luchese boots, started in Victoria. Why not include that in the campaign? Are we just going to use catchy jingles and tag lines to draw people in? As far as Bootfest goes, just take a look at other festivals, such as the Macaroni Festival, that failed due to a lack of interest. And what's with using an ad firm from Cuero, when we have several award winning ad firms right here in Victoria? Do we want to send our tax money elsewhere?

February 20, 2011 at 7:39 a.m.

February 20, 2011 at 6:24 a.m.
  • You're right el69, Victoria had it going in the right direction in the '70's. Then they decided it was bringing in the wrong element. Since then it's been a bunch of missing the right formula. There are too many old fogey's with the mentality to hold back, "we don't want to attract too many young people for fear us old timers might lose our control" mentality. Victoria is not known for anything because of that reason. This town is a retirement community. You don't believe that, have you driven down Navarro and had someone going 20 mph, turn right into a business parking lot from the inside lane?
    The boot campaign really lets people know that they will be wading in b/s when they come here.

February 20, 2011 at 5:21 a.m.

February 20, 2011 at 5:02 a.m.
  • While stationed in Germany an advertisement about Victoria,Texas on the American Forces Network Europe (AFN Europe) came on. The advertisement tried to lure people to come and enjoy ............
    The International Armadillo Confab and Exposition in Victoria, Texas.
    The ad ran something like this:
    If you happen to be in the area during Victoria's annual Armadillo Festival be sure and visit for awhile. Not only is there a genuine Texas Rodeo complete with Buffalo, Longhorn Steers and Clowns, there are also many stands and booths that feature many of Victoria's secret recipes for Armadillos. etc, etc.
    Now, that's what I call promoting Victoria.

February 20, 2011 at 2:12 a.m.
  • $750,000 X 3 years = 2,250,000 To bring your boots to Victoria for what.
    Has this campaign even captured the interest of the Texas Monthly Magazine?
    One big state. One great magazine. Texas Monthly is your guide to the people, places, and events all over Texas. Whether you're a genuine Texan or just wish you were, every issue takes you to the most exciting getaway spots, the best restaurants, and introduces you to the personalities who make the state unique.
    Has the campaign "Bring your Boots to Victoria" even caught the interest of the "Texas Country Reporter"?, to run an advertisement of all the hoopla surrounding the Bring your boots to Victoria?

February 20, 2011 at 1:45 a.m.
  • I am from out of state and I have lived here for two years, I would really like to know what is here in Victoria, TX that will make people want to come here. I leave this town and spend my money at the malls in Corpus and San Marcos. You can advertise for people to "bring their boots" but what are they coming here for. Our mall is losing stores left and right and there are no big attractions.

February 19, 2011 at 10:46 p.m.
  • I don't get the "boots" concept. When you think of San Antonio you think the Alamo because that is something in History, a place to visit. When you think of Austin you think of UT or the state capital, once again because it is something. You think of Victoria you are to think of boots??? Where does that lead you. What excitement is created by thinking of boots? I personally don't think this is going to work. Not for the fact that they aren't giving it all they have, for the fact what "BIG" does Victoria have???

I do not live in Victoria. I went to college there and worked a few years there but if you ask me what I think of Victoria I think medical. They have a wonderful medical care. But that is not something you would want to market. Thankfully Victoria is getting some college sports teams but this is still to new to develop on and kinda of a local thing. I would not think many people outside Victoria would follow a minor college team.

I think they need to work on getting something big. Something that will attract vacation'ers. Not make up something funny to draw people in. Maybe like a amusement park. Or how about an outlet mall. Invest that $750,000 into creating interest in companies like that to come to Victoria.

I don't know, I am not and expert. I just don't think the boots thing will catch on.

February 19, 2011 at 10:46 p.m.
  • Just a bunch of not so smart people giving our money away. Thanks mayor armstrong.

February 19, 2011 at 10:46 p.m.

February 19, 2011 at 10:15 p.m.