Woman sustains first, second-degree burns in home grease fire

  • In case of grease fire:Never leave a grease fire un-attended

    When starting to cook, turn up the grease 3/4

    Put a lid on it. That's the best way to kill a grease fire

    Do not mix water and grease. ...

  • SHOW ALL »
  • In case of grease fire:Never leave a grease fire un-attended

    When starting to cook, turn up the grease 3/4

    Put a lid on it. That's the best way to kill a grease fire

    Do not mix water and grease. It can make an explosive combination

    Once you put the fire out, stay there for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't re-ignite

    Have a fire extinguisher available in the kitchen

    If a fire is too much to handle, let the fire department handle it

    Source: Victoria County Assistant Fire Chief David Phillips

    To prevent chances of a grease fire, never leave cooking materials in the stove unattended. This pint was not clear.

    Corrected May 20, 2011

QUAIL CREEK - An 80-year-old woman suffered first- and second-degree burns to her upper body while trying to put out a grease fire in the 600 block of West Beck Road on Tuesday.

She was taken to Citizens Medical Center and later transferred to Brooke Army Medical Center Burn Unit in San Antonio.

David Phillips, Victoria County's assistant fire chief and fire investigator, said there was minimal damage to the property.

Phillips said grease left on the stove got too hot.

The homeowner, Fredline Pagel, frantically called her family because she could not contain the fire at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday. Her son-in-law, Roger Saski, came to her rescue.

Saski, 49, found her on the floor, still conscious. He also said he helped to put out the fire.

The son-in-law said Pagel must have tripped and fell while trying to get the fire-filled pot outside.

"There was grease everywhere, it must have gotten to her," he said.

Pagel's daughter, Diana Pagel, said she rushed to see her mother.

Although the grandmother received burns to her face, hands, and arms, she told her family, "Glad I had on my glasses or I would have burned my eyes," her family said.

Pagel's hair was also singed at the top.

Her daughter said she was grateful she survived,

"I'm grateful she's alive. I am glad to hear my mother's voice."

Saski said Pagel will be at Brooke Army Medical Center Burn Unit for the next 24 to 36 hours.

"She's in pain, but she is in good spirits."