Comments

• Its sometimes hard to have patience with the habits of the poor. I can remember being so poor that I barely had 1 dollar, but once a week we would stop & spend that dollar on a can of coke. It was the sweatest drink I ever had. Under normal conditions I would have ridicueled this practice.

November 21, 2011 at 1:58 p.m.
  • Game05.

Good point.

November 20, 2011 at 7:23 p.m.
  • it's not even $18 million. 50% of it has to be given right back to the government, and then you still pay taxes on what you have left.

and like most states, probably only a small portion of it actually goes back into education, and a lot is diverted to whatever pet projects the congressmen have. the only reason some goes into education is so they can talk about how they're helping children, and any opposition to the Lottery would therefore be harming kids' educations.

November 20, 2011 at 6:17 p.m.
  • Lemme see if I understand how this works. A bunch of people give me $396 million and I give them back $18 million. How do I get a job like that? I think it's called banking.

Now where did I put that $378 million? Maybe the Texas Education Fund?

"God, I love the smell of profit in the morning".

November 20, 2011 at 12:58 a.m.
  • Writein and Game05...Ya'll make good points. It is very hypocritical for the government to run a lottery and ban poker and slots. And, Writein...yeah, if some fool spends his paycheck on lottery tickets, it very well could lead to divorce and welfare for the kids. I grant you that. I'm just wondering, though, do ya'll feel the same way about buying booze or cigerattes? A lottery ticket costs a heck of a lot less than a pack of cigerettes AND won't cause cancer.

I buy a ticket from time to time. Back when the referendum was going on the ballot, my wife told me that she was going to vote against because she didn't believe gambling was okay. I told her I was going to vote for it and, if it passed, I was going to play. BUT, I also told her that to keep from insulting her, if I won I wouldn't give her any of the money. :) The most I ever won wsa $174 dollars and, it's funny, she didn't complain when I took her out to a nice dinner. I have never spent more than two dollars on lottery tickets for any drawing. I don't smoke or drink. I spend a couple bucks on lottery tickets and don't ever expect to win, but it's fun to fanticize about that happening.

The government is meddling way too much in the private lives of citizens already. If some fool spends the grocery money on lottery tickets or Southern Comfort, it's NOT my concern. The family might get some of my money as welfare payments, but the government has already taxed it out of my pocket anyway. I buy tickets responsibly and don't spend anywhere near what I could afford to lose. When I buy a lottery ticket, I'm pursueing happiness. My comment to both the government and do-gooder people who claim they know better than I how to spend my disposable income is simple: "Don't Tread On Me."

November 19, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.
  • WWW.
    You think too small. You are right let’s say it is his right. You and I can agree on this. However you brought up something. You said, “It is none of the business of anyone else...with the possible exception of his wife.” With that wife brings the possibility of children. It factor all of that with the sad economic affairs, then what? I’ll tell you. The possibility of divorce with Children brings in social services. All of that comes from your tax dollars and my tax dollars.

November 19, 2011 at 8:02 p.m.
  • the Lottery: keeping poor people down for decades.

it's not poor peoples' right to buy lottery tickets that i don't like, it's the hypocracy of government to make all of their arguments against legalized gambling and casinos, yet operate their own gambling monopoly through the lottery system.

November 19, 2011 at 6:54 p.m.
  • It strikes me that a person has the right to spend his money any way in which he sees fit. Remember, it's HIS money. This is one of those things that falls under the heading of liberty. The pursuit of happiness is one of those unalienable rights the Declaration of Independence speaks of. If buying lottery tickets is the way some pursue happiness, it is none of the business of anyone else...with the possible exception of his wife. Everyone recognizes the odds against winning the lottery, but it isn't up to anyone who thinks he knows better what a citizen can and cannot buy. Every time someone buys a winning ticket, that person's dreams are realized. The odds against winning are probably greater than the odds of being struck by lightening, but, I'd be willing to wager a Big Mac against a Whopper that there have been more lottery winners in Victoria County than there have been people struck by lightening.

November 19, 2011 at 4:14 p.m.
  • Using the odds in reverse, it is hard to imagine how many hundreds of millions was wasted by the lower rung of the socioeconomic ladder persuing this pipe dream. I wont stop at most of the speedy stores waiting for the poor people in front of me spending their pay on 40 oz beers and lotto tickets, making me wonder why they call it speedy while waiting soooo long to pay for a sack of ice.

November 19, 2011 at 10:45 a.m.
  • It's not a waste of money for wealthy people - it helps keep their taxes down.

November 19, 2011 at 8:27 a.m.