Comments

• a little fyi. The NFL actually raises millions of dollars for cancer charities through the pink uniform campaign. You can buy all the actually buy game worn pink stuff, including footballs, jerseys, shoes, and gloves at the nfl.com site. here's the site if your into buying sweaty uniforms from your favorite players.

btw, most labs work on multiple types of cancer and cancer research in general, so it's not like ALL the money goes only to breast cancer research. The research is used for cure of all cancers...

October 14, 2011 at 9:43 a.m.
  • There is a place for all this "pink".

Football players aren't where it should be.

I mean heck, why don't we really send a message and start letting our military troops wear some of that great pink camo.

Just because I think we have gone overboard with the pink crap doesn't mean I'm not sypathetic. See how you jumped to an inaccurate conclusion.

IMO - Breast cancer awareness with all this pink is silly. We're aware already you can get rid of the color.

October 14, 2011 at 5:45 a.m.
  • The Pink obviously has its roots due to breast cancer although I feel that it has transformed. The pink is a symbol of Women's struggle through cancer and health problems period.

October 13, 2011 at 2:34 p.m.
  • Why does breast cancer get all the attention? Did we get all the others nicked already?

October 13, 2011 at 9:26 a.m.
  • @jasonbourne...I think unless you've actually experienced (maybe you have?) "cancer" (all types)...you might feel more sympathetic to the cause and awareness thereof! For what it's worth, please see the following link...for which I am a "black ribbon", i.e., Melanoma (NOT JUST skin cancer, but the DEADLIEST FORM OF CANCER), aka, THE BEAST!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:24 a.m.
  • bkc, I am glad you were able to find the cancer early enough and defeat it! Totally agree with you! I have children and am constantly busy and running around with no time for myself. I see pink and it does make me think of a couple family members of mine and what they went through and reminds me to get checked and do self exams. I do buy a lot of pink products BUT also read on the back of what I buy how much goes to breast cancer awareness. I would do the same for any other type of cancer as well!!

October 13, 2011 at 8:45 a.m.
  • how much of money from these pink campaigns actually goto research / mecical treatment and how much goes to advertising and salaries ?

October 13, 2011 at 8:20 a.m.
  • I am a breast cancer defeater! My Mother and Older sister and their Doctors did not detect their breast cancer soon enough and both died at 62 and 41. I see the whole pink ribbon campaign as a way to boost awareness for women to do self exams,get annual checkups,raise money for research, and for free or low cost exams for women who other wise would not receive them.

I went three years without an exam just because I had a lapse in insurance. I worried every single day of that three years. In my mind it was never a thought of "what if" but "when" I would get the diagnosis.

Women spend more time taking care of everyone else kids,Husbands,parents,jobs, etc. and put off taking care of themselves, sometimes until it is to late.
    Early detection is the key to fighting this diease at this time and if a pink ribbon will motivate women and the people who love them to get them to go for an exam then BRING ON THE PINK.

With that being said, I am sick of the public being mislead by companies who make money and contribute very little to help defeat breast cancer.

October 13, 2011 at 7:42 a.m.
  • what i don't really understand with this whole Breast Cancer Awareness push is who isn't already aware of breast cancer? are there really people out there who see the pink stuff and think "Breast cancer? what's that?" maybe our efforts would be a little better served by making people aware of conditions that get little press and minimal funding.

October 13, 2011 at 5:39 a.m.
  • Yep, it's overused and bordering on insane.

Football players are all wearing pink. Guess what??? They don't have a choice the team tells them they will.

Yes, like all the other cancers, I'm aware of Breast Cancer and I don't need something pink to make me remember.

Lung cancer is pretty darned hazardous for you, why doesn't it get a color? That prostate cancer doesn't have very many friends, why no color for that one?

Personally, I think it's silly that someone thinks we need a color in order to remember a cancer.

October 13, 2011 at 4:01 a.m.