Comments

• A Film Festival is just what Victoria needs. Victoria is stagnant. The same type of "festivals" are implemented year after year in Victoria. Here we have a local man who has out grown this little town wanting to bring in something new and exciting. We should be thankful. Victoria's younger generation is full of directors, film makers and actors. This is such a great opportunity for everyone to see the talent underlying in Victoria. This summer my family was involved in the Corpus Christi Film Festival, CC7D. It was such a great experience. The city came together and celebrated this great event. 51 films were made in Corpus Christi over a week's span. The films were viewed that next month to a sold out theatre. Every "flight" was sold out. The revenue that was brought in during that event was incredible. The winners made it to the Rockport Film Festival which has an even bigger base with celebrity judges every year. This could be a start for something exciting and profitable in Victoria.

January 16, 2012 at 1:36 p.m.
  • I really appreciate all the comments from the folks who are pro-film festival, even though that is not the issue here. I really do, but I think that it is very interesting that so many of you seem to believe that if the rules are not altered so that Anthony Pedone can get $43,150 to finance his festival, Victoria will suddenly become devoid of all things artsy! This is not the only 'arts' project in this town. It IS the only one asking for special consideration, but there is a fair amount of artsy things to satisfy most folks.

I really hope when the Anthony Pedone profile story is posted later this evening, one of the questions asked of him will be, "Just how did you originally plan to finance this project?" He must have had an original plan since this latest effort seems to be Plan B.

January 16, 2012 at 1:22 p.m.
  • My two cents as a "creative type"… Each year there are hundreds of movies being made for tens of millions of dollars. Then there are the tens of thousands of movies being made for little-to-no-money. Just as we can all agree that a lot of those multi-million dollar movies are pretty lousy, it stands to reason that some of these no/low-budget indie films are pretty good, and deserve to be MADE and to be SEEN. The public deserves to have access to them. Movies have the ability to not only entertain, but to educate, to inspire, to CHANGE LIVES. There is a burgeoning indie film-making scene in Victoria, whether certain local politicians want to acknowledge it exists or not. I worked on three different films in Victoria last year and am scheduled to do several more there this year. My own film, "The Pyrex Glitch", a sci-fi comedy, was shot there for little more than the pizza budget, thanks to the enthusiasm of Anthony Pedone, the local theater group, and a few other people who believe that art is important to society. There is a small amount of money in the city budget earmarked for the arts and a film festival would be good business for everyone. There are many small towns around America that are embracing independent film-making; I believe Victoria should be one of them. Life without Art is no life at all.

Jane Wiedlin
    Musician, composer, actress, filmmaker

January 16, 2012 at 1:01 p.m.
  • wow. jason bourne commented!!! holy crap is he going to be at the film festival?

January 16, 2012 at 10:58 a.m.
  • Wow, you guys should get a room. Jeff you have found your constituents- you should found your own, new city and lead these geniuses to the promised land. A land void of creativity and rife with Robert's Rules of Orders.

January 16, 2012 at 12:30 a.m.
  • Great post Jeff.

January 14, 2012 at 6:48 p.m.
  • Great post Jeff...I dunno if they are just hoping to lead to a film industry here, but bad news....it wont. Maybe a few independent festival only films like the previous. And those require so much to be given free, it cost the community more than the community makes. 50% of the funds is essentially a festival on welfare.

January 14, 2012 at 5:36 p.m.
  • There was a time that downtown was considered a blite area for the purpose of taxes. Not sure about the spelling or what it means. Apprisal district wouldn't tell me what it means or that it exist.

January 14, 2012 at 4:28 p.m.
  • Sometimes you have to wonder how Armstrong can manage to talk out of both sides of his mouth (although two sides just doesn't seem to be enough for him) on just about every subject.

From the Jan. 3rd council meeting where arts funding was discussed Armstrong was quoted as saying ""I know some of the groups were disappointed. Some got more," Mayor Will Armstrong said. "I think the committee did a good job. There won't be any attempt to second guess any of their decisions."

Now from the Jan 13th meeting he is quoted as saying ""To put it off a year when you've got this enthusiasm would be a big mistake," Armstrong said. "I think it's important to promote new events."

Same process doesn't seem to apply to everyone equally. Two weeks ago he didn't want to second guess the committee's work (charged with awarding the HOT funds to the arts) and this week he thinks this cannot be put off. In other words, he thinks the process is great for everyone else but when he has a pet project the same processes don't apply and second guessing or COMPLETELY BYPASSING the committee process is acceptable.

Two years ago an organization, African American Chamber of Commerce, missed the deadline for submitting an application and they were denied participating in any HOT funding. This year a NEW organization missed the deadline for applying and they, seemingly by having 4 votes of council, will receive funding from the same tranche of money without complying with the processes initiated by council.

I am not commenting for or against this festival. My concerns continue that Armstrong and several others on council disregard or completely change the "rules" they establish when they don't work to support their current position.

Just another great Victoria example of "it's not what you know" (following the guidelines) but "who you know" when it comes to council decisions.

Ms. Rangel and gentlemen, I challenge you to follow the rules you established. What is being considered here is not equitable and in my opinion is a slap in the face of the long standing organizations that were denied funding under the committee recomendations.

January 14, 2012 at 12:06 p.m.
  • Then donate to it. Guidelines are guidelines. If you allow one entity to break guidelines, then you have to allow all. Then can I pay my taxes late without penalty? The audacity to ask for half his budget from the city is rediculous.

January 14, 2012 at 11:57 a.m.
  • What a great idea. A new way to bring people to downtown Victoria. Now that we have such a beautifully restored downtown square with an incredible vintage courthouse all we need is people using it. I would like my elected representative to have a futuristic view of the possibilities. We cannot always wait for things to fall into our laps. Here you have a fellow with a ton of energy and a vision to begin an annual event that could have a huge upside for Victoria. I know Anthony Pedone and he has a lot of contacts and if there was a fellow who can get something like this done it is him. That business is probably a small circle of people and you have to have someone like Anthony to turn heads and become part of a new and exciting deal. You have to have mega energy behind these things and the money is probably the least of the equation but the easiest thing and way for the city of Victoria to benefit from his production. For us to turn it down because of an i not doted or a t not crossed just tells me somebody doesn't want to make the hard decisions. Let's have some forward thinking on this issue. Sort of like Boot Fest. Who knew? Seems like there was some foot dragging on that one that turned out better than anyone expected. Tourism is the cleanest business there is so any opportunity that comes our way we need to give it our best consideration. I am all for my tax dollars going to help bring the Film Festival to town.

January 14, 2012 at 10:56 a.m.
  • Yeah I agree. If you cant afford to fly people in, then get more sponsors.or find people you do not need to fly in. Meet deadlines, if they cant meet this application deadline, then they have no nusiness running a festival.

January 14, 2012 at 9:26 a.m.
  • The amount requested is too much for a first-year project.

January 14, 2012 at 8:17 a.m.