Could you pass the Algebra I STAAR test?
The following questions released by the Texas Education Agency were adapted from a STAAR Algebra I test.
1. The sales tax rate at a clothing store is 8.75 percent. Sales tax on an item is a function of its price. What is the dependent quantity in this function?
2. In the quadratic equation x² - x + c = 0, c represents an unknown constant. If x = -3 is one of the solutions to this equation, what is the value of "c"?
3. If (2k, k) and (3k, 4k) are two points on the graph of a line and "k" is not equal to 0, what is the slope of the line?
4. The amount an appliance repairman charges for each job is represented by the function t = 50h + 35, where "h" represents the number of hours he spent on the job and "t" represents the total amount he charges in dollars for the job. The repairman plans to change the amount he charges for each job. The amount he plans to charge is represented by the function t = 50h + 45. What will be the effect of this change on the amount he charges for each job?
1. The amount of sales tax on the item
4. The total amount he charges for each job will increase by $10.