Comments

• born,

EXACTLY! what responsible dog owner would allow a dog to run around off leash when strangers are over?!? All these people want to say a responsible dog owner did this when clearly this is irresponsible and not how ANY dog owner should be. NONE of my dogs are allowed to just run up and greet strangers.. This dog was not treated right bc it spent time chained to a vehicle. Chaining a dog=territorial aggression. This isn't rocket science here people.. this is common sense! And I asked all the questions there were unknown to this story that should have been asked.

May 29, 2012 at 9:37 p.m.
  • pitmomma,

Really? Everything that is needed to be known, is known in that story. There was pit off the chain when the owner knew a stranger was coming. What part is unknown?

May 27, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.
  • This dog was CHAINED the first time they were there.. what responsible pit bull owner chains their dog to a vehicle?? Oh that's right.. none. This pit bull was a resident dog, it had no people skills. It probably lived outside and away from humans..And why did he have the dog now? Who in his family had it before? Why did they get rid of the dog? All questions that should be asked.. so until you know all the details.. shut your mouths! The fact that they said they "prevented the dogs jaw from locking" shows how idiotic this entire story is. The pieces aren't all there.. and I'll stick behind the pit bull.. Sorry the kid got bit, glad he's okay.. but the owner is far from responsible.

May 27, 2012 at 2:18 p.m.
  • Another example of a "Raised Right" pit bull from a "Responsible Owner" who was shocked when this vicious breed attacked without warning and for no discernible reason.

I have said it before and will continue to say it. There is no such thing as a "responsible owner" when it comes to pits. Why is that? Because the so-called responsible owners think the problem lies with the irresponsible ones, not the breed itself. And that is false. Now the responsible ones don't think their dogs a threat when it is still in fact a threat. They get lax because their "Good" Pit won't attack, until it does.

A bad owner, a poorly treated Pit, is not the ONLY source for the problem with pits. A poorly treated dog with a Bad owner is just even more likely to snap. but even the supposedly "good" well raised pits can and do still snap. Because IT IS THE BREED!
    They may be less likely to do so than the poorly raised pit, but they are still likely to do so.
    The vicious nature is bred into the breed.

OWNERS: "other breeds bite too, even chihuahuas"
    Yes... all dogs bite. but Chihuahuas don't RIP YOUR THROAT OUT!

Also there is a difference between biting and a full blown ATTACK.
    A Mauling.

Dogs Bite as a matter of discipline. A nip, a sharp quick bite. usually not enough to break skin is a Dogs version of "a slap on the wrist" Done when they get annoyed. A stronger bite that breaks skin but does not real damage is more akin to a spanking. like when a child painfully yanks it's tail. Even many other large breeds will only go this far when raised as a family member, but no further.
    certain vicious breeds, and Pits top the list here... go further. and do so without warning. They maul, they don't discipline... they attack.

Most dog bites are done defensively and as a form of punishment, especially around humans. Pits are murderous in their biting. Not disciplinary.

THEREIN LIES THE DIFFERENCE

May 25, 2012 at 10:04 p.m.

May 25, 2012 at 4:21 p.m.
  • Where are all the defenders of ' its not the breed, its the way it was raised' ???

May 25, 2012 at 3:29 p.m.
  • Ron Bridges... "If one comes on my property, it will die. I have the right to protect my property and my family..."

I agree with you 100% and you are right that is the law, but unfortunately a bunch of lobbying misguided animal lovers have caused the legislature to enact statutes that place more value on animals than persons in many instances.

The result is that across the state people who choos to exercise their right to protect themselves or livestock are arrested for animal cruelty and charged in too many instances by overzealous officers and prosecutors.

(This of course doesn't apply in instances locallly when some of Victoria's finest have blasted the family pet to doggy kingdom come for "acting agressivly....)

I think you are right though. Blast away if a stray animal is on your property and acts even remotely "different".

May 25, 2012 at 3:25 p.m.
  • Dogs will be dogs and dogs bite when they feel threatened. Animals think differently then we do or so I would assume for I'm no expert on the subject. I don't think there will be a solution to the dog attacks any time soon so we just have to keep our eyes and ears open and be on alert for them. Sorry for the pain and fear that the victims have gone through and wish for a speedy recovery.

May 25, 2012 at 2:57 p.m.
  • I agree with you Seargentjiggler. If you were to leave a loaded handgun lying where a child could get to it then you would be held accountable. If you let a dangerous animal run loose( notice I didn't say pitbull ) and it bites an innocent person it is your responsibility. Unless the person bitten is breaking the law or tresspassing. I just believe that there have been a few too many people attacked. It is totally out of control. You live in the country, what would you do if coyotes started killing your livestock? I would imagine there would be some dead coyotes. What is the difference here. Archiebonkers has the right idea.... shoot 'em all!!!!

May 25, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.
  • shoot all stray dogs out in the county especially these type.

May 25, 2012 at 1:23 p.m.
  • Yes we all have a right to protect Our family and property. I have a right to own any type of dog I want too. This story is about a responsible owner of a dog whom didn't know he was unpredictable and put him down immediately! That saids to this owner he did not want a Killer dog. I am the same way. I don't want any type of dog that kills innocent people. But I do want a dog that will Hurt someone whom is trying to hurt me, that is my protection. I do not believe all Pit bulls are bad, I do believe they are being totally inbreeded and that does make a difference. Look at the Human race.. why are so many Killling Others??? Maybe its because we have so much bad inbreeding.. thats my thought.. And I do commend the owner and I will say it again.. he is a Good example of a Good dog owner..

May 25, 2012 at 11:15 a.m.

• They are unpredictable. They are not the only dogs that do this. My heart goes out to the owner of the animal - he had no idea that his dog would do such a thing."
    The owner did the Right thing.. had the dog put down. I would do the same. I am Happy the outcome was Good for the guy whom was attacked. Dogs do feel fear, and they will bite, any breed will. I was attacked by a german shepard. It jump up on me and bite my face. I am a prime example of any type of dog attack when they feel fear. When people ask if the dogs will bite..... I always ask if they are scared of dogs.. Because I know they can be unpredictable when they feel fear.

Was wondering if the dog was fixed. I believe it makes a difference too. They are not so territorial.

May 25, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.
  • Again ----- same song - second verse

May 25, 2012 at 10:44 a.m.
  • "The dog should have never been allowed to run loose."

Ron Bridges, you state the above yet this dog was loose on the owner's property not running around all of Telferner. My dogs run loose on my property as do my neighbors cattle on his. A bull can be aggressive and kill so should they be chained up too?

Precautions should have been taken to prevent this attack, vehicle buyers and dog owner could have done this prior to the arrival on the property of "strangers" but legislating what I can do on my property with my dogs is going too far.

And if laws start here where does it stop?

May 25, 2012 at 9:32 a.m.
  • All owners need to clearly heed to Mr. Countryman's statements. He thought he "knew" the dog, all appearances are that he was a very responsible owner.

May 25, 2012 at 5:35 a.m.
  • I commend Mr Countryman for taking the step to insure that this dog will not be a problem again. Most people, obvious in other stories lately, always blame the person and not the animal. I am sure it was a hard thing to do since this dog has been in the family for a long time. My thoughts are with Mr Countryman and may Mr Alderete have a speedy recovery!!!!

May 25, 2012 at 4:25 a.m.
  • Here is an example of a "sweet well raised" pitbull that attempted to KILL a young man that did nothing to antagonize the animal. How many more attacks is it going to take to make people realize what's happening? I have decided to do everything I can to stop this madness. To all others who feel this way contact your state representative. If enough of us put pressure on the law makers maybe we can effect change. I hate to say this, our kids are fixing to be out of school. How many attacks on our babies will it take? The young man in this story was able to fight the dog off long enough to get help. What would have happened if the victim was a 50 or 60 pound child. Another dead baby thanks to a killer dog. We can't blame this attack on a bad upbringing. All pitbulls need to be regulated and insured. Make the owners responsible for their animals. The dog should have never been allowed to run loose. If a dog kills a person then the owner needs to be charged with manslaughter. Especially a child, the Police need authorization to shoot pitbulls that are running loose. If one comes on my property it will die. I have the right to protect my property and my family, that is the law.

May 25, 2012 at 3:01 a.m.