Years ago for Sunday, Sep 01, 2013
Sept. 1 - J.M. Petty of Los Angeles, California, came here yesterday to inspect his ranch, consisting of 1,600 acres, at DaCosta. He bought the tract 14 years ago at $11.50 an acre and since then has refused more than six times that much for it. Mr. Petty was formerly engaged in the drug business at San Antonio and other points in this state. He expects Victoria to become as large as Houston or San Antonio in the course of the next 10 or 12 years.
Sept. 2 - Within approximately 60 days the Victoria Fire Department will have one of the finest pumper trucks in this entire section, it was learned today. The contract was let by the city to Burke-Sims Fire Equipment Company of San Antonio. The purchase to a new pumper truck was necessary with the truck and pumper now in use antiquated and unreliable. The truck has a Super DeLuxe 95 horsepower Diamond "T" engine with a capacity of 250 gallons. The hose body will accommodate 750 feet of hose.
Sept. 4 - The population of Victoria is 13,724. This figure was announced Saturday by C.H. Jackson, who has completed a canvas of the city for the C.H. Jackson Directory Company. The population in the city limits is 12,617, with 1,107 residing just outside the city limits, making a total of 13,724. The survey also revealed there are 757 places of business in the city. Families in the city number 3,779, with 3.08 persons per family.
Sept. 7 - A group of local business men interested in the dry goods trade and affiliated interests met at the Chamber of Commerce Tuesday night in the first of a series of meetings sponsored by the commercial chamber and devoted to varied businesses of the city. Present last night were M.O. Simon, M.L. Grossman, George H. Hofmann, George Filley, M.S. Leveridge, Ed Slotnick, Jake Levy, Clarence Gerson, Louis Gallemore and A.L. White. C. of C. president Earl Fischer presided, while D.L. Granberry acted as secretary during the meeting.
Sept. 4 - It is back to school Thursday for the approximately 9,897 students of the Victoria Independent School District.
Registration got underway Tuesday at Victoria College with 272 students signing up for the fall semester. Classes will start Monday, with a total enrollment of 775 estimated.
Nazareth Academy reported an enrollment of 843 students at the opening day of school Tuesday.
Sept. 5 - Recent hiring of three new police officers was announced Wednesday. They are Carl Ziegler, William McCarvey and Cary Taylor. Taylor comes to Victoria from Austin, where he served four years with the police force as a patrolman. Ziegler is a former employee of a local department store. Unlike Ziegler and Taylor, who will be patrolmen, McCarvey will work mainly as a radio dispatcher. He is from San Antonio.
Sept. 6 - Figures released Thursday showed that almost 300 persons stopped to rest and enjoy coffee, doughnuts and soft drinks at the Jaycee-operated rest stop operated Labor Day on the Houston Highway at Foster Field. The rest stop was operated by Bob Krenson and Bob Gisler and was one of 236 operated by the Jaycees in Texas in an effort to cut the number of traffic accidents.
Sept. 1 - Victoria Regional Museum Association has added a McNamara Guild to its things-to-do list for this fall, according to VRMA executive director Clara Kilgore.
Ms. Kilgore said VRMA was looking around at the old house museum and found there were many odd jobs that needed to be done to spruce the place up.
Wallpaper and paint is peeling. Furniture needs minor repairs and refinishing. Upholstery and fabric needlework is another must, along with a general refurbishing of floors.
To really make the house sparkle would cost a pretty penny, said Ms. Kilgore, so the museum is looking to Victoria's do-it-yourself buffs for a helping hand.
Sept. 3 - Firemen quickly limited fire damages to the kitchen of the residence of Dr. and Mrs. Fred Fry at 2307 N. Wheeler St. Friday morning.
While the two-story home received moderate fire and heavy smoke damages, there was one happy ending to the story.
Liza, the Frys' 13-year-old sheepdog found herself trapped by smoke and intense heat, and a fireman, Jon Nichols, rescued the large dog from the house.
Mrs. Rhea Fry was the only occupant of the residence and was upstairs when she heard a noise downstairs which she thought to have been made by the dog.
But, upon checking, she found the fire in the kitchen and heavy smoke.
Upon calling the 911 emergency number for firemen, she discovered that a friend had noticed smoke coming from the residence and firemen were already en route.
Fire Chief Henry Juenke, after making a lengthy investigation into the fire, blamed a malfunction in an electrically-operated inside grill for the blaze.
Dr. Fry said the grill had not been in use Friday morning.
"We had cereal for breakfast," he said.
The fire charred the contents of the kitchen. But quick work by firemen contained the blaze to that area of the residence.
Captain James Waller broke a kitchen window in order for firemen to get a fire hose inside the residence.
Juenke conducted the investigation along with Lt. Tom Blair.