Comments

• You take care Mike. Always liked reading!!!!

June 20, 2012 at 8:52 a.m.

• Mike.

The more I think about this, the less I like the idea. I dislike this for different reasons. This is about social and political power more than transparency.

Mr. J. Williams

June 20, 2012 at 12:01 a.m.

• Ok, lets get back to business. I am prophesizing an October surprise. A catacalysmic debt ceiling standoff. What do you guys think? We only got a couple of weeks. Let me have it.

June 18, 2012 at 11:02 p.m.

• Thanks VBB,I'm glad you didn't take the political disagreements personally because I certainly didn't.....as Sugar stated we are together in this "kumbaya" moment and it can be a fresh start...I look forward to hearing from you agai.

Thanks again

June 18, 2012 at 10:15 p.m.

• I didn't mean to imply that you were being sneaky....I just suspected you were one & the same & you had your reasons to change names...Suzy never reappeared once Born was "born"...haha. I'm glad the troll forced the change because I really grew to like you even though we may disagree. : )

June 18, 2012 at 9:46 p.m.

• The funny thing is, now that the storm is blowing away from us (me) and the sun has come out again (when you learn to let go of something, it's amazing how cleansing an experience it can be), I realize that, although many of us have had our differences, and we will always have different points of view, we have so much more in common than we have different. Does that make sense?

I feel like this is a positive step for us posters/bloggers to "start over" and it has happened at the right time. Just my opinion. I will likely be posting just a few more days here myself, with one final blog in the works, and then that's it. I realize just how much we have learned from one another and how much bonding can occur when we face a common enemy. Isn't that something?

Born2beme, Suzy, Littlebluebook, JackieBrown, so many others that I forget some names now....posters come and go, but what a wonderful experience it has been, at least for me. Thank you, one and all.

June 18, 2012 at 9:43 p.m.

• VBB, ;)

I wasn't trying to be sneaky or underhanded. I sent Chris a message and asked him to delete Suzy and I would start over, minus the troll attached at the hip to me. But, I did decide to be less confrontational in my new persona. That kind of thing can get you in trouble. LOL

June 18, 2012 at 9:18 p.m.

• Mike, your depature is a huge loss for the VA. Even though I don't agree with you politically, I do acknowledge & respect that your blogs are well written & researched & are a big attraction to the majority of commentors on this site. Since I know where to find your personal blog, which I enjoy greatly btw, I will see you again on the other side. I have been absent on this site as of late basically out of lack of interest, the song "everyday is exactly the same" comes to mind, so my weaning has come early. It will lead me to y'alls personal blogs on a more regular basis so I can keep up with y'all.

Born.....I knew it!!!! You were Suzy!!!! I will miss you as well, we more often than not disagreed on things, but I like to think they were little things, we actually agreed on the more important things & that always made my day! : )

June 18, 2012 at 8:59 p.m.

• Edith Ann - My way of thinking is that the VicAd DID have all the details finalized, but due to the onslaught of public animosity towards this move, they are now backpedaling and trying like mad to salvage any readers they may have left. They are just trying to save face, and are making up the rules as they go now. Which is pragmatic, and I can appreciate that to a certain extent. But once you've seen the emperor without his clothes (and not a pretty sight, mind you) then you never view him in quite the same way again. Agendas may be refined, but never really change if they are self-serving.

It's just too late, at least for me. I am most definitely calling it quits. It is hard to let go, to be truthful, but it would be harder to stay here now. It's time.

Mike, I don't know what to say in response to your kindness. Except, thank you. And, if I or any of the "original bloggers" helped inspire you to blog also, then I am most proud. Glad to have you here, or on Google, or anywhere in cyberspace.

June 18, 2012 at 8:47 p.m.

• I have come to the conclusion that all the details are not yet worked out on how this is going to be handled. I am leaning strongly to calling it quits again. As folks leave and the conversion is made, I believe I'll make my exit also.

That will sadden some and gladden others. So be it.

June 18, 2012 at 3:31 p.m.

• vet43

I've had the urge to open a Facebook account for a couple years and even bought a book at Hastings so I could learn how it would benefit me. I then asked a couple posters about their experiences and if they thought I could gain any benefit and they said since I had a Twitter account and my own blog, it wouldn't benefit me at all unless I wanted to extend the discussion with other like minded individuals who I might" friend" and then turn around and "unfriend" them the next day... That has nothing to do with the new format and I'd Trust the VA with my private information but it's the unknowing that makes me reluctant. Has anybody ever thought of what they would do if a poster blared out" I know you; blah blah blah." .. Don't say it can't happen and I've seen where a poster was called a child molester, true, it was immediately deleted but how many saw that? Years past, we had a couple posters going back and forth, threatening each other, and both saying that they had concealed handgun permits. A couple of posters told them to stop their insanity but of course they were ignored and a moderator was nowhere to be found. This went on for hours into the wee morning and one poster posted his opponent's home address and telephone number for all to see. It must've stayed up for an hour before a moderator showed up and deleted both accounts. One of the culprits was using an assumed name at the time. When he was reinstated, he started insisting that everyone should use their real name because that was the condition he had to approve of before being reinstated. He kept getting banned and coming back under different aliases. Unfortunately the trolls spoil it for the majority because it's all them; making the VA take the steps that they did..IMO

It’s true that the idea of us using real names would make the examples I submitted less likely BUT the real name gives a poster who doesn’t care one iota about a congenial environment, the ammunition (real name) to destroy his opponent. That poster doesn’t care if he is banned; that’s a small price to pay and besides they are not above of submitting a fake profile, time after time.

June 18, 2012 at 2:32 p.m.

• Mike,

I agree that the move to Facebook will not be user friendly. I am on FB at my kids and grandkids request but only go on to read what the kids are up to. One thing I have noticed is folks share way too much information to the world and once it is out there everyone owns it and can do what ever they want with it and it has your name in bright lights. I advise extreme caution with the system and I am undecided at this time. Many folks know who "Vet43" is and I have no problem standing behind what I believe. Saddly others look at the web as a weapon to abuse instead of a tool teach. After one visit to "Craigalist" and the Rant and Rave section I have serious missgivings regarding openness on the net.

June 18, 2012 at 12:34 p.m.

• EA, Pat & VA

I'm still having trouble with the wording and specifics.
    I understand a business decision of going to a new format for whatever reason and like every other decision; I can take it or leave it.

I never received the initial e-mail everyone was supposed to have received but I didn't need one since the contents were published online. I've seen one version where non Facebookers were going to be treated as stepchildren and their comments and blogs would be posted in some obscure location. Another said that things won't change much for the non Facebookers except that they will not be featured.... I have asked other posters about their definition of the word “featured" meant...

I look that the sports blog that was given as an example and I'm thinking that my blogs and comments and would be on a different tab and as we do now for “popular" comments or in "your views and our views." I have trouble getting a mental picture of what the new system would look like.

Perhaps I was too hasty in my departure or am I looking at the inevitable of a total Facebook format when the software, technology or anything else that is preventing that from happening today?

I don't blame the Victoria Advocate for wanting to have a more civil environment than the larger newspapers and that's what makes it unique...IMO. It may be a monetary decision I don’t know.. I bookmarked the Advocate forum because the comments and blogs came from fella Victorians and surrounding cities.... Every blog that I visit has a comment section and a “free for all" environment where people can post the vilest things (and they do) and if you read one, you've read them all. I know that Jerry Springer formats appeal to some that think that we are all adults and should be able to handle that. That's a legitimate point of view but I have choices as they do.

Let's let the smoke clear.

June 18, 2012 at 11:46 a.m.

• arlewill

I have mentioned you often in my other blog, as someone who I always looked forward to discussing issues with. I agree that we often looked at a lot of issue differently but because we came from similar backgrounds (retired, blue collared etc) allowed both of us to understand where the other person was coming from on any given issue.

I have a Twitter account, smart phone, and a couple of other social media sources but I have a gut feeling that I don't want anything to do with FaceBook even though everyone in my family an extended family, friends and neighbors have one. Victoria is my hometown and I'm still upset of how much information people can get from Victoria County CAD about property owners. I understand that younger people and don't have the qualms about sharing their personal information as the older generation does.

Many thanks for reading my blogs and putting up with me when another poster had put me in a sour mood

Yes indeed, Best of wishes to you and your family.

June 18, 2012 at 11:35 a.m.

• maryann

Naturally my memory is not as good as it once was but I do remember that you were already a member when I first joined and a respected and very knowledgeable one, who supported her statements with links; I might add. I knew if I ever was going to disagree with what you posted; I had better do my homework or get shown up in a public form...:-)

Yes I will always remember that memorable day when we took on the forum and the editor at the time because he was very active in our discussion that day.... Maybe that's how Custer must've them felt..:-)
    Thanks again for proving having a difference of opinion on one subject does not mean we can't have an open mind on in other subjects.
    Oh, we will keep in touch one way or the other because I always read your letters- to -the editor, your blogs, and your posts in I will always remember your kindness.
    Sugar Magnolia
    If memory serves, you were a member of a select group who got to post blogs and they were my first exposure to the newfangled social media. I was awed and never thought that I would follow in your footsteps. You were an inspiration because you and a few other bloggers knew and still do; know how to tell a story.
    You're absolutely right; this is not the end because writing blogs is habit forming..:-)

Kyle

Thank you for the kind words and I will never forget the impact you had when you were a regular participant. I used to say that you must've had an encyclopedia imbedded in your brain when you were born. Your instance responses were amazing whether there were, chapter and verse or a historical depiction of whatever the topic that we were discussing.

June 18, 2012 at 10:39 a.m.

• born2Bme

Thanks for the kind words...You were already a member when I joined the discussions and I recall that I didn’t know how to format my posts, so they appeared jumbled. You were kind enough to tell me to format my post in a word processor before posting.

It was relatively easy to be kind to someone like you because you just posted your opinion and people could take it or leave it .... You were never pushy and never insisted that you had the only answer.

Stillthewaywardwind
    I agree we had some of the most passionate debates in our forum and I want to thank you for being kinder to me than I was to you. Your armadillo hide was obviously tougher than mine... Yes, we did agree on some issues such as DOMA being unconstitutional. We both were civil libertarians but you were a tad more passionate....:-).. I know you are looking forward to your retirement, so let me extend well wishes while I can...remember our wives aren’t used to us being around 24/7...lol... I like to think we were both ornery bulls on the open range but when the thunder and lightning came, we both scurried to seek the same shelter.

June 18, 2012 at 9:53 a.m.

• Jeeez, stop begging. I thought this was going to be a good thing. If they want to leave let em leave. I agree with whoever said it... Once the dust settles, we'll see who remains.

You mght have more folks than before, once everyone figures out how harmless all this is.
    You've given the instructions (however confusing) let the chips fall where they may.
    Please stop the begging... Or at least take it offline!

June 18, 2012 at 9:31 a.m.

• Mike
    I will miss you and your blog in the Victoria Advocate. Even though I did not respond frequently, I looked forward to reading a blog from someone who thought differently than myself but was sincere and honest in his belief. It has helped me understand what the other side is about.
    I would not join FaceBook either and believe their is a future danger to those who risk putting their personal information in the hands of people who have to make money to satisfy investors. The biggest asset FaceBook has is the personal information of its Members.
    Best of wishes to you and your family.

June 18, 2012 at 8:24 a.m.

• It will be interesting to see who remains and who shows up new after all of the dust settles.
    I still have no idea of how to comment or blog after the new rules go into effect..whenever that is. But I didn't do much before.
    Patrick Barnes

June 18, 2012 at 8:09 a.m.

• Chris Cobler, Jessica Puente--

Why don't you guys start all over with the explanation of the new rules regarding blogging and posting on blogs.

There are bits and pieces scattered all over the place and from the comments, it is clear that many are still confused.

Maybe start with "If you DON'T have a Facebook account, you will not be able to..."

I don't really understand why it has been so difficult for you all to explain this.

The score as it stands now is--
    You don't have to have a FB account to blog.
    You have to have a FB account to comment on a blog. It will show your FB name.
    No one has mentioned posting comment on stories, not blogs. Any changes there?

That's what I have gathered from the Advocate posted blogs and comments.

June 18, 2012 at 7:24 a.m.

• A sad day indeed for those that don't follow you elsewhere on the interwebs.

On to bigger and brighter things, Mike! Thanks for being such a consistent and reliable blogger here. You will be missed.

June 17, 2012 at 10:20 p.m.

• Mike - you said it so well that I can only echo your words here. You have been a fixture, and it is the VicAd's loss certainly.

MaryAnn - Joe Patrick Bean - now there was a good man!

Mike, I will see you over on our Google blogs. This is not the end; it is only the beginning of better things to come for you. I will be following right behind; my farewell blog will be posted soon.

Let the exodus begin.

June 17, 2012 at 6:25 p.m.

• Hello Mike,

You’ve been a fixture here at the VicAd for so long, I bet you’ve got moss on your back! Lol

I always enjoyed what we have in common, Mike. Also, we don’t agree on all things, but I could count on a civil discussion with you 100% of the time. Never will forget our encounter years ago with Joe Bean on the forum- God rest his soul.

Thanks for being a reliable anchor of reason on this spot. I saw you take lots of heat from some less-than-well meaning posters, and your knowledge and patience would prove you were a class act.

Thanks for the advice throughout the years. God bless you, my friend, and I do hope to “see” you again somewhere, sometime.

Mary Ann

June 17, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.

• Mike...Even when I didn't agree with you, I was always impressed with your passion and the amount of research you did to support your position. Heck, I can even remember a few times when we DID agree. Felt kinda strange, but it was satisfying nonetheless. Enjoy your family, Mike. We part with my best wishes going out to you. I appreciate the Advocate for having this forum available to provide an arena for those discussions.

June 17, 2012 at 1:15 p.m.

• "Like"

June 17, 2012 at 12:48 p.m.

• Mike, you have been probably the one reason that I stuck around so long. I've always enjoyed your perspective on things and when Suzy started getting stalked and decided to leave, she just couldn't stay away. Thanks for all of your kindness and thanks for your dedication to "the cause".
    I can't say I'm not going to miss the way things are now. But, I know all good things usually come to an end, sooner or later.

June 17, 2012 at 12:13 p.m.