Comments

• I hadn't heard of the movie but I went on line to check it out...I might look for it this weekend...... Andy Griffith plays Lonesome Rhodes....So that's where Keith Olbermann got the idea to call Glenn Beck “Lonesome Rhodes"..:-)

Thanks

May 18, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.

• "I bought that movie (Mr. Smith goes to Washington)several years ago,so I can pass it down to my family"

That's funny Mike....I sent my father-in-law a copy of Andy Griffith in "A Face in the Crowd" a few years back just to prove to him that Rush was nothing new under the sun. If you haven't seen it I can't recommend it enough. Andy Griffith in a powerful very serious role. After seeing it I finally understood why Elia Kazan was blacklisted.

May 18, 2012 at 1:42 p.m.

• John, a little tidbit to cheer you up.

President George W. Bush is writing a book called "Strategies for Economic Growth" ,yes, that’s the same George Bush.

"The Center for American Progress's, Pat Garofalo, caught this little tidbit and nicely summarized why the idea of Bush writing a book on economic growth is ludicrous.

" After all, under his watch, "growth in investment, GDP, and employment all posted their worst performance of any post-war expansion," while "overall monthly job growth was the worst of any cycle since at least February 1945, and household income growth was negative for the first cycle since tracking began in 1967." As the Economic Policy Institute found, "between the end of the 2001 recession (2001Q4) and the peak of that expansion (2007Q4), the U.S. economy experienced the worst economic expansion of the post-war era.

I know it will be ghost written but some people will buy it because it just goes to prove a phrase often credited to PT Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute."

Have a good weekend

May 18, 2012 at 10:06 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 18, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.

• You are welcome,John

I bought that movie (Mr. Smith goes to Washington)several years ago,so I can pass it down to my family.

I love a couple of Bill Clinton quotes "There is nothing wrong in America that can't be fixed with what is right in America" and "The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change."..We've been on "supply- side trickle down" for 30 years; it doesn't work.

On a serious note,next month SCOTUS may rule that the entire Health Care Law is unconstitutional and the Republicans will jump for joy but as of yet , they don't have an alternate plan, nor are they prepared for the chaos this will cause... Yesterday, they were having a hearing on banning abortion in Washington, DC... About 40 years ago, Congress turned over most of its power over to their city government. Let's see we have about 13 million unemployed,an upcoming debt ceiling battle and no continuance plan, in case Obamacare goes down but by god the women in Washington, DC won't be able to get a legal abortion in that city. Who can blame the average American for being angry; I don't believe one taxpayer stood up and asked their representative if they were gonna ban abortions in Washington, DC.

May 18, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.

• I liked that movie. When I was ignorant, seeing that movie gave me such pride in my country and respect for our government. It made me believe that if you were right and never gave up, great things could be accomplish and did, in America.

Now, I know better.

I have no respect for the government and my pride is in those people, who act like Americans in spirit, not just words.

Today, it seems that not all Americans are, American.

That you can be right, work hard, and do all the right things and still end up people calling you "loser". That only liars, thieves, and do less but boast that they do more, are the winners?

I liked that move. It brings back good feelings before the world, went so wrong.

Thanks Mike.

May 18, 2012 at 2:14 a.m.

• Oh yes, “budget sequestration,” that was supposed to scare the Democrats and Republicans into negotiating.... The GOP keeps resubmitting the Ryan budget..lol

Wasn't it last week when the House voted override steep cuts to the Pentagon’s budget mandated by last summer’s debt deal and replace them with spending reductions to food stamps and other mandatory social programs?

This is the same bunch that thought they could pass a house budget without the senate’s approval.

May 17, 2012 at 4:23 p.m.

• "When I look it the opening negotiations, the starting line is always on the center right column. This is the first time we've ever seriously argued about raising the debt ceiling(a promise to pay our current bills) and if you listen to Republicans ,the entitlements are the biggest drivers of the debt without even considering the cost of our defense spending..Paul Ryan even argued with the defense department because he wanted to give them more than they themself budgeted for."

Sequestration is coming in January and the GOP folks don't seem too keen on the automatic cuts. The House majority has been pretty clear (and amusing) on the limits to being "fiscally" conservative.

May 17, 2012 at 3:45 p.m.

• Mike,

I happily admit to being naive but in this case I was giving the far Right the benefit of the doubt and not taking into consideration the "Uber" Right and that loveable little band of fanatics, the Tea Party. For a mob that screams smaller government they seem to demand new laws and regulations imposed on the individual and a unremitting desire unleash the "Dogs of unrestricted profiteering" on those that aren't living off Daddy's wealth, (i.e. middle class).

May 17, 2012 at 11:51 a.m.

• Seems to me that how rational a candidate is doesn't matter anymore - the candidate seems to have to be radical - whether it is left or right.

Those of us in the middle become more frustrated everyday. Never have I told any of my representatives to not make cuts in the budget OR to not review the current tax structure and see what opportunities are there.

I certainly don't want a slash and hack approach to balancing the budget - but - also know it takes more money coming in to balance the budget.
    Maybe all the elected officials in Washington could get a second job with their wages going to the general fund to make ends meet - like so many Americans are doing now.

May 17, 2012 at 11:47 a.m.

• vet43
    You might be right but I disagree because I don't think the far left is even in the picture. Perhaps I forgot or am not aware of any left wing proposals that are being considered.

As I see it, most of most of the Democrats are where yesterday's moderate Republican party used to be and new Republican party is operating as a parliamentary carcass of the far right. For example, the Violence Against Women Act that was passed in the senate,the 31 who voted against it were Republican men..... I think we'll see more this when the debt ceiling needs to be raised.Especially when one party is committed to Grover Norquist's "no new taxes" pledge.

Bowles- Simpson is considered a bipartisan plan to get our fiscal house in order but the GOP won't support it because their constituents just want to cut spending.

I'll admit I'm not a moderate and I don't see things down middle because I have a bias but I know I can't have everything I want...I'll take Bowles-Simpson in a heartbeat.

I think the country is polarized either through the media or deep seated feelings and we are paying a price for it. Keep an eye on the stock market and Standard and Poor, when the politicians start to once again, hold raising the "debt ceiling" hostage.

I just read that of the 300+ filibusters since 2008,the senators involved represented 21 states and JUST 11% of the population of the United States..They can do that if Mississippi has two senators and California has two senators...I don't advocating changing that part of the constitution but many times it's one lone senator and I do want that changed.

May 17, 2012 at 11:32 a.m.

• Mike,

It is far past the time for our nation and it's leaders on both sides of the aisle to recognize the value of statesmanship and the "meeting of the mind" concept. This would require the minds to at least be on the same planet.

When I hear the debate from the far left and right it is obvious that they are in different timezones. Even different century.

Compromise and moderation are not alien to most of us except those that must preface every stance or belief as a stone wall when it should be a moving target.

I would call it evolution but that would bring out the villagers with touches and pitchforks.

May 17, 2012 at 10:41 a.m.

• WWW

Thanks I appreciate the compliment and I agree everything is polarized; even the Violence Against Women Act.

I'm not for " term limits" because I believe in the ballot box. I believe constituents need to know the issues prior to electing their representatives. We need to insist on ridding ourselves of gerrymandering. I can't believe it took CBS's" 60 Minutes" to expose prominent congressional leaders of legally using insider trader information to benefit themselves. They didn't act until the president mentioned it at the State of the Union....After SCOTUS effectively killed campaign reform with "Citizens United", Congress immediately surrendered without a fight . They may now have a weapon to fight back with, such as making the Super PACS reveal their donors but will they do this?

There are folks that think we can immediately withdrawal from Afghanistan but last night I heard Richard Engel of NBC explain the reasons withdrawal takes so much time and some of the costs involved. After we killed bin Laden, tensions between Pakistan and the United States were at the highest level, so Pakistan closed off the roads to Afghanistan, making it difficult to move our equipment out of that country. We had the use helicopters to transport some equipment. Pakistan and United States have entered into agreement where we now pay $1 million dollars a day(~$1600 per vehicle) to use the road which has now open to two way traffic. On top of this, we will pay Pakistan another $1 billion for their corporation in the fight against terrorism. The wear and tear on their equipment, troops etc. The alternative was to use the Black Sea and put our equipment on ships to take a route that is about 5000 miles longer and a lot more expensive.....I'm for leaving Afghanistan as quick as possible but there is still some unfinished business to do...Such as killing the explosive expert who is determined to do us great harm. We have moved the most dangerous elements of al Qaeda to Yemen....The explosive expert is using non metallic materials in his bomb making that can slip normal screening devices. This man used his own brother as a guinea pig.

Delphi Forums? I have never heard of it but I might look at it sometime in the future.

May 17, 2012 at 9:59 a.m.

• Mike...Your blog was great. I'm old enough to remember when the U.S. Senate was called "The World's Greatest Deliberative Body." T'ain't so any more since they decided that everything from the nation's budget to what to eat for lunch requires a super majority. The Congress critters -- in both houses and on both sides of the aisle have very effectively turned the word politics into a vile and slimy invective. Every day I'm more and more disgusted with the whole bunch. We can't get rid of them; people keep voting for the same old politicians. There's no way to get term limits passed because the people who would have to vote on the bill would be voting themselves out of a very cushy job.

On a different topic...have you ever joined the Delphi Forums? They have a number of forums and I would love to read your opinions in "Politics; The Bully Pulpit" and on the "Opinion Forum." There are members from around the world. I think you'd enjoy yourself there. Just a thought.

May 16, 2012 at 7:46 p.m.

• Hello arlewill,great to hear from you.

Quite the contrary and  I as much said so.....I don't think for one minute that the Dems won't take the same advantage  as the GOP is,if they become the minority party and the cycle continues....I heard a European economist say that America is one budget away from a full recovery but it's going to take a compromise....Can't do it without revenues.

The GOP will have one advantage if they take over the senate and retain the filibuster..They could pass the Ryan budget with 51% using reconciliation in the senate.

On another note,John Boehner is threatening another debt ceiling showdown...The GOP holds this advantage,whenever the debt ceiling crisis is mentioned,S&P takes a downturn along with Obama's numbers....

Have a great evening

May 16, 2012 at 6:01 p.m.

• Mike
    Be careful with changing the rules on this one. Your party may not always be the majority party and then you would want to reverse these changes.

May 16, 2012 at 5:40 p.m.